GATE Exam

Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering Exam

What is GATE Exam?

The Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is an all India entrance examination that primarily tests the comprehensive understanding of the candidate in various UG subjects in engineering/technology/ architecture and PG subjects in science.

The Indian Institute of Science (IISc) and seven Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) jointly conduct the GATE every year. It is the qualifying entrance examination, which is conducted for admission to postgraduate (PG) courses (M.E, M.Tech, Ph.D.) in IISc and IITs.

The operations related to GATE is each of the 8 zones are managed by a zonal GATE office at the IITs or IISc.

Financial Assistance: A valid GATE score is essential for obtaining financial assistance during Master's programs and direct Doctoral programs in engineering/technology/ architecture. As per the directives of the MHRD, the following procedure is to be adopted for admission to the post-graduate programs (Master's and Doctoral) with MHRD scholarship/assistantship.

Depending upon the norms adopted by a specific institute or department of the Institute, a candidate may be admitted directly into a course based on his/her performance in GATE only or based on his/her performance in GATE and an admission test/interview conducted by the department to which he/she has applied and/or the candidate's academic record.

If the candidate is to be selected through test/interview for post-graduate programs, a minimum of 70% weight age will be given to the performance in GATE and the remaining 30% weight age will be given to the candidate's performance in test/interview and/or academic record, as per MHRD guidelines.

The admitting institutes could, however, prescribe a minimum passing percentage of marks in the test/interview. Some of the colleges/institutes specify GATE qualification as the mandatory requirement even for admission without MHRD scholarship/assistantship. Jobs: Several public sector undertaking would consider GATE scores for screening for providing jobs

Results 2018:

GATE 2018 results are announced. Candidates can view the same through GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS): http://appsgate.iitg.ac.in

For great career opportunity, get instant updates on Education, Career & Job
Careerindia

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. This includes cookies from third party social media websites and ad networks. Such third party cookies may track your use on Careerindia sites for better rendering. Our partners use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Careerindia website. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time. Learn more