It is never too early to start preparing for entrance exams as most of them demand knowledge that you must accumulate over a period of time. CAT 2018 is scheduled to be held in November. The registrations for the same will open in August. Now, is the best time to start with your preparations.
Scoring 90 percentile in the Common Assessment Test (CAT) means scoring better than 90% of the candidates who have attended the exam along with you. Since the registration process is yet to begin, the number of candidates taking up CAT 2018 cannot be determined. However, every year there are thousands appearing for this coveted entrance exam.
IIM Lucknow holds CAT for admissions into B-Schools and other prestigious management institutes.
CAT 2018 Exam Pattern
CAT is divided into four parts namely:
- Quantitative Ability
- Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension
- Data Interpretation
- Logical Reasoning
This means, that you have two major sections to focus on - Aptitude and English.
How To Prepare For CAT 2018
Grammar is the basics of any language. This part of the subject takes longer to learn than anything else. So start with this. It's not going to be that tough really. Treat grammar like a person, fight with it, make fun of it and love it! How? Use English while talking to your confidants.
Improving your vocabulary is considered as an exercise for the fitness of your mind. Good vocabulary helps you ace any exam that you attend. As for CAT, you will have questions to find out the meaning of words. In this case, reading intensively will help you understand meanings with ease.
Whenever you come across a new word, make a note of it. Maintain a separate notebook to note down the new words and their meanings. You will be amazed at how much you have learned over time. It is important to note them down because there is a high probability that you will try recollecting a word that does not strike your mind immediately. Having a book where you can refer your recent vocabulary is the best way to retain memory of new words.
This section would need you to provide answers for an indirect question. To solve it, you must first understand the question clearly. While a direct question itself could demand considerable thought, an indirect question would consume more time and effort. To make those efforts fruitful, you must be strong in the language, so as to not fall for detractors and get the right answer even for a tricky question.
Most of the aptitude questions are mathematics. This requires you to have a strong foundation of the basics. So be thorough in your school math syllabus and then advance into the college math syllabus.
Familiarise with all the Math diagrams and solve sample questions. Things required to practise are:
- Data Tables.
- Bar Charts.
Here Are Hacks And Techniques To Score 90 Percentile In CAT 2018
- Start with solving previous years question papers. Although studying the concept first and then doing this might sound logical, if you want to get to the top percentile, you must jump at solving old CAT question papers first.
- Be thorough of the syllabus topics. Having a clear idea of the syllabus will help you plan your study time table accordingly.
- You could choose to enrol in one of the management coaching centres or join with other aspirants and complete portions at a stipulated time.
- Study on the go. Relate all the concepts to your current happenings. In case you see a sun, it could remind you of venn diagrams. That way you already would have consumed the subject in your mind and are ready to do a great job with it.
- Avoid fatigue and boredom. Always study with a vigour. If you feel bored, change your place of study.