When one starts working, they may have all the enthusiasm in the world. You would be coming early and leaving late. You will have all your necessary items, clearly arranged in your cubicle and you are ready to do any task that is given to you.
Everyone is excited about their first job. But after a while, you will get used to the routine. You tend to see the same people and do the same things. Type the same mails, do the same graphs and prepare the same presentations.
This sort of redundancy at work will give rise to laziness and a lethargic personality. Over the time you will become slow at work, and less pleasing and your capabilities will start to give up on you. You will not find the strength and energy to get up and go to your work the way you used to before.
You might start wondering as to what is happening to you and why it is affecting your productivity. Well, you should stop thinking about it already. Here we have few steps, which you can follow to be more productive at work:
Plan Your Daily Routine
Some of us might think that planning our daily routine, will make it boring. Well no! If you have a clear set of agenda to follow by, you will hardly move away from what you are supposed to do. Planning will always keep you on track.
- Plan your goals at the start of the day.
- Write them down, preferably on a post it.
- Keep the post it somewhere near to your desk so that you can always look at it.
- If you are moving away from your focus, you can go back check and see what you are supposed to be doing.
Let Some Music In
Music has always been the savior. Even in the case of productivity at work, music will only help you out. Put on your earphones and let some good tunes kick in. Having earphones will also give your co-workers a sign that you would not want to be disturbed and stop worrying, it is not a sign of being an asocial.
- Listen to whatever you find comfortable with.
- Instrumental music would help the best.
- Though it depends from people to people, music with lyrics can actually distract you.
- Make sure your music isn't too loud.
- Don't forget that you are working and thus can't be just enjoying music the whole day.
Shift your Location
You sitting at one place throughout might make things monotonous. Try going to a new place next time. Once in a while ask for a work from home option and if your Boss is okay with it, go to a new location - a cafe, a park or wherever you are comfortable with.
Of course, you will be needing to work, so you will have to carry essential things like a laptop, Internet connection etc. Make sure you enjoy working and at the same time you need to take in the change of space.
Put those Social Media Notifications Off
While you are at it, trying to be productive and trying not to distract yourself you need to accept how much time you are spending on social media platforms like Facebook and Instagram.
Sure some of them might be important in terms of your work, say you work as a Social Media Manager and platforms like Twitter provide instant information.
But other than your work, you are scrolling post after post and checking notifications after notifications, you will need to put a hold on to that. Doing so, you will be able to spend more time at your work. Finish it and then maybe, you can binge post or consume all the memes and posts.
Make Your Space More Comfortable
As you start working in and around your space you need to understand that the desk or the cubicle you work in is somewhere you are spending a lot of time. You need to make it as per your comfort. You can add stuff and personalize. It will give you a closer connection to your work and you will be more productive.
- You need to remember to keep it de-cluttered as too much of mess will bring down your whole vibe down.
- Add items of various colors, if you are keen on colors.
- You can add a plant or some showpiece on the sides.
- You can add something religious or spiritual if you connect with it and feel personal.
- Decorate your space with photos or memorabilia.
- Working for long and tiresome hours easier if you are surrounded by photos of your friends or family
Start With the Difficult
When you start your day, and if you have followed the tips you would've planned and you will have a couple of things to do. So clear out what you find as most difficult in the very beginning. Don't keep it for the last minute as you might have other last-minute tasks coming up.
As you follow all the tips you must also keep in mind to take short brakes during your tasks and not to multi-task a lot. Remember that you alone should not stress over everything.
So take your time, enjoy and be productive!