The JEE Main 2016 examination was conducted online on April 9, 2016 across 132 cities in the country and abroad. Nearly 3 lakh students have registered themselves for the online entrance examination.
The number of students registered for JEE Main 2016 has seen a significant decrease from last year's 13.04 lakh, to this year's 12.07 lakh students.
- Total number of questions - 90 questions
- Questions were from physics, chemistry & mathematics
- Paper was divided into 3 parts - A, B, C with 30 questions in each part
- Each question carried 4 marks.
- Negative marking of 1/4 marks was deducted for every wrong answer.
Students' reaction - Overall a balanced and moderate paper
- Mathematics was on a moderate level of difficulty while chemistry and physics were easy.
- In comparison with the exam held on April 3, physics was not that tough and maths and chemistry were of similar level.
- Some students claimed mathematics paper to be lengthy but not tough.
Specification of the examination
- The students were not allowed to carry a copy of their question paper after the exam
- There was no set number of question paper unlike the offline exam
- The students were allowed to ask for additional rough sheets
- Pencil box/stationery/wrist watch/mobile was not allowed inside the test center
- No major errors in question paper have been reported till now, some students have reportedly said "there was one question in maths with no option matching(this is yet to be ascertained).
Selection Procedure: Selection of candidates to admission in NIT's / IIIT's / DTU / CFTI's and other allied institutes will be based on overall merit list comprising of 60% of JEE Main marks and 40 per cent of normalised Board marks.