Samvidhan Divas, or Constitution Day or National Law Day, is observed on November 26 every year in India. Every year on November 26, India observes Constitution Day to commemorate the adoption of the country's Constitution. The Indian Constituent Assembly adopted the country's Constitution in 1949, which came into force on November 26, 1950.
Constitution Day 2022: Significance
The Constituent Assembly formally enacted the Indian Constitution on November 26, 1949. The law became effective on January 26, 1950. The purpose of Constitution Day is to raise awareness of the Constitution's significance.
When was Constitution Day started?
In 2015, Prime Minister Narendra Modi declared November 26 to be Constitution Day.
Constitution of India
The Constitution is the body of laws the Indian government has established in writing. It outlines the essential political procedures, rights, guiding principles, constraints, and obligations of the national government and its population. According to Constitution, India is a sovereign, secular, socialist, and democratic nation. It guarantees justice, equality, and liberty to its residents.
Constitution's Drafting Committee
The head of the drafting committee: B. R. Ambedkar (also known as the primary architect of the Indian Constitution). He is sometimes referred to as the Indian Constitution's Father. The Constituent Assembly's members wrote the text of the Indian Constitution.
On this 26th day of November 1949, our Constituent Assembly adopted, enacted, and bestowed upon ourselves this Constitution.
How was the Indian Constitution created?
India maintained its usage of the laws put in place when it was a British colony from 1947 to 1950. The Government of India Act 1935 was eventually replaced by the Constitution of India. The Constitution was based on several sources, but India's requirements and circumstances were prioritised. Before creating the Indian Constitution, B. R. Ambedkar researched the constitutions of more than 60 nations.
National Law Day: Timeline
1934: M N Roy first proposed the idea of a constituent assembly.
1946: Cabinet Mission Plan
1947: India's Constitution committee was formed.
1949: On November 26 1949, the Constituent Assembly of India adopted the Constitution of India, coming into effect on January 26, 1950.
2015: Tribute to India's constitution-Prime Minister Narendra Modi announces that November 26 will be celebrated as National Law Day or "Constitution Day" to mark the adoption of the Constitution of India.
Framing Of the Constitution of India
There were eight major committees, and the rest were minor ones. The list of major committees and their heads are mentioned below:
- Drafting Committee Head - B. R. Ambedkar
- Union Constitution Committee - Jawaharlal Nehru
- Provincial Constitution Committee - Vallabhbhai Patel
- Union Power Committee - Jawaharlal Nehru
- Advisory Committee on Fundamental Rights, Minorities and Tribal and Excluded Areas - Vallabhbhai Patel.
- Rules of Procedure Committee - Rajendra Prasad
- States Committee (Committee for Negotiating with States) - Jawaharlal Nehru
- Steering Committee - Rajendra Prasad
Indian Constitution: Facts
- The Constitution is the lengthiest in the world.
- Federal System with Unitary Features.
- The framing of the Constitution took over 2 years, 11 months and 18 days.
- Parliamentary System of Government.
- The Indian Constitution's first versions weren't typewritten or printed. They were penned by hand and are currently housed in a helium-filled case at the Parliament's library.
- Prem Bihari Narain Raizada has penned the original copy of the Indian Constitution.
- The Indian Constitution was initially prepared in both Hindi and English.
- The Government of India Act 1935 is the foundation for the Indian Constitution.
- Additionally, the Indian Constitution incorporates elements from several other nations.
History Behind the Creation of the Indian Constitution
- India attained independence on August 15, 1947, and on January 26, 1950, we commemorate Republic Day to recognise the implementation of the Indian Constitution.
- The request from the Constituent Assembly was made in 1934. Communist party leader M.N. Roy first proposed the concept. The Congress party took it up, and in 1940, the British government ultimately agreed to the proposal.
- The Constituent Assembly convened for the first time before independence on December 9, 1946. The Constituent Assembly's first president, Dr Sachchidananda Sinha, was chosen. The meeting went on until January 24, 1950.
- A Drafting Committee was established on August 29, 1947, with Dr B.R. Ambedkar serving as its chairman.
- On November 26, 1949, the Committee declared its job completed. The procedure was finished on January 24, 1950, and the committee members signed two handwritten copies of the document. Hindi and English are both presents.
The Indian Constitution became operative and the supreme law of the land on January 26, 1950.
For more latest updates, get connected with us on telegram, click here.