The National Defence Academy (NDA) & Naval Academy (NA) Exam is conducted by Union Public Service Commission (UPSC). NDA is a national-level exam, which is held twice a year. NDA is a joint service academy where army, navy and air force candidates are trained by stepping into pre-commissioning training.
UPSC has announced NDA and NA Exam for the year 2018 where the date of examination is scheduled for Apr 22, 2018. An enthusiast who desires to work in these services can get started & prepare for the examination.
- For Army Wing of National Defence Academy: 12th Class pass of the 10+2 pattern of school education or equivalent examination conducted by a State Education Board or a university.
- For Air Force and Naval Wings of National Defence Academy and for the 10+2 Cadet Entry Scheme at the Indian Naval Academy: 12th Class pass of the 10+2 pattern of School Education or equivalent with physics and mathematics conducted by a State Education Board or a university.
Pattern Of The NDA Exam
- The paper in all the subjects will consist of objective questions only, which have to be completed in 2.5 hours. The question paper will have two parts, Part A & Part B.
- The question papers (test booklets) of mathematics and Part B of general ability test will be set bilingually in Hindi as well as English.
- Mathematics cover 300 marks; the topics covered in mathematics is algebra, matrices & determinants, trigonometry, the analytical geometry of two and three dimensions, differential calculus, integral calculus and differential equation, vector algebra & statistics & probability.
- The general ability paper consists of 600 marks, where grammar and usage, vocabulary, comprehension and cohesion in extended text are tested to evaluate the candidate's proficiency in English. One-third of weightage is given to English, whereas, the other sections are about history, geography, physics, chemistry & current events.
Candidates should be well aware of the syllabus & start preparing for NDA exams.
The best study materials for the NDA exam are NCERT books. The other important books for mathematics are:
The best study materials for the NDA exam are NCERT books.
The other important books for mathematics are:
Mathematics for NDA and NA - R. S. Agarwal
Pearson Guide for Mathematics for NDA Entrance Examination - Pearson India
Entrance Exam for Mathematics Study Package - Arihant
General ability books:
Quick Learning Objective General English - R. S. Agarwal
Manorama Yearbook - Mammen Mathew, K. M. Mathew, Malayala Manorama
Solved Question Papers
Along with these books, the previous years' question papers and suggestions can be bought. Few of them are:
Pathfinder for NDA & NA Examination -Arihant Publications
NDA Examination Solved Papers - Upkar Publications
How To Crack NDA exam
- Candidate must first allot time for both the sections in the paper.
- It is important that the candidates prepare from NCERT books. Class 12 books must be used for the preparation of math, physics & chemistry. Class 10 books have to be utilised for history, geography, biology, political science & economics.
- Candidates must have a sound knowledge in math and its basics. The formulae and theorems must be noted while practicing, which will be useful during revisions.
- Basic grammar, vocabulary and reading comprehensions should be concentrated on in order to score well in the exam. English section consists of 200 marks, which is a scoring subject and hence, proper preparation is required.
- For Part B paper, in-depth preparation is needed where physics and its practical application and chemistry and its elements & compounds will be the topics to learn.
- The current situations should be well known to the candidates for general and environmental science.