The Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE), one of the toughest entrance examinations in the country, is conducted jointly by the Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore, and the seven Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs). GATE is the biggest entrance exam for an admission to postgraduate courses.
Every year, lakhs of candidates appear for this high-profile exam. In order to ace the GATE exam, candidates should draft a unique strategy to stand out from the crowd. This examination is even important for employment opportunities in the public sector companies (PSUs).
When the GATE examination is all about the core subjects, candidates should know what to read and what not to. One should pick the right books for the exam which will make preparing for the exam easy and help you fetch more marks. Here, we have compiled the best books for GATE preparation.
8 Tips To Choose The Best Books For GATE Preparation
- The GATE examination books should be easy to read and understand because a lot of technical studies are involved.
- Students have to study a lot during a short period of time, which isn't easy. Hence, aspirants have to pick up books that can provide a lot of information in a limited period of time.
- Pick up books that will give you clear and accurate information.
- GATE is all about the core concepts and most of them are complicated ones. Hence, make sure the preparation books hit the bull's eye with their information.
- Prefer the books that provide a synopsis of every concept because they are extremely useful during your revision.
- Never study from books that deviate from the core concepts.
- Do not encourage those books that give more importance to English language words rather than technical words.
- The visual explanation of core concepts through diagrams will help aspirants a lot in understanding the same. Never ignore this feature while scrutinising the books.
GATE 2019 will be conducted for 24 subjects (papers) including the new statistics paper. Candidates can appear for only one paper in any one session. Every year, GATE exam will be conducted in February. The GATE question paper consists of a total of 10 questions on general aptitude. Explore some of the best GATE preparation books for general aptitude.
GATE Preparation Books For General Aptitude
1. High School English Grammar & Composition by Wren & Martin: This is a very useful book for the grammar and vocabulary-related questions. Pay special attention while reading the grammar rules.
2. Modern Approach to Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning by Dr R.S. Aggarwal: This is the best book for the reasoning section. It clearly explains the concepts and provides hundreds of practise questions.
3. Quantitative Aptitude by Dr R.S. Aggarwal: This is the best book if you want to be clear with the basic concepts. It also provides all the shortcuts to solve the questions in less than a minute.
GATE Preparation Books For Computer Science & Information Technology (CS)
- An Introduction to Formal Languages and Automata by Peter Linz
Computer System Architecture by M. Morris Mano
Operating System Concepts by Galvin
Modern Digital Electronics by R.P. Jain
Compilers: Principles, Techniques, and Tools by Alfred Aho, Jeffrey Ullman and Ravi Sethi
GATE Preparation Books For Electronics & Communication Engineering (EC)
- Modern Digital and Analog Communication Systems by B.P Lathi
- Semiconductor Physics and Devices: Basic Principles by Donald A. Neamen
- Modern Digital Electronics by R.P. Jain
- GATE Electronics & Communication Engineering Mathematics by R.K. Kanodia
GATE Preparation Books For Mechanical Engineering (ME)
- Theory of Mechanisms and Machines by Amitabha Ghosh and Asok Kumar Mallik
- Design of Machine Elements by V. B. Bhandari
- Engineering Thermodynamics by P. K. Nag
- A Textbook of Fluid Mechanics and Hydraulic Machines by R.K. Bansal
- Modern Production/ Operations Management by Elwood Buffa
GATE Preparation Books For Civil Engineering (CE)
- Theory of Structures Paperback by S. Ramamrutham
- Design of Steel Structure by S.K. Duggal
- Basic and Applied Soil Mechanics by A S.R. Rao and Gopal Ranjan
- Highway engineering by Khanna and Justo
GATE Preparation Books For Electrical Engineering (EE)
- Fundamentals of Electric Circuits by Charles K. Alexander and Matthew N.O. Sadiku
- Electrical Machines by Kothari and Nagrath
- Power Electronics by P.S.Bhimbhra
Apart from the above books, aspirants of GATE can also look up some guides published by famous publications such as Arihant and Pearson. They should also buy books that contain the previous years' solved papers.