Reading is one of the basic things students need to know. It is one of the major forms from where the knowledge flows in. Hence, it must be an integral part of a child's development.
Here are some ways to get the students to love reading:
1) Choose a place. Select a place that is most apt for reading, which is comfortable and well lit.
2) Let the students pick their favourite author and books to read. If they choose to read it over and over again, do not stop them.
3) Make sure the students are reading regularly. Be it story books, text books or newspapers.
4) Allow them to borrow books. Encourage them to own their own library.
5) Introduce graphic novels to the young readers. These novels come with good illustrations and good dialogues.
6) There are e-readers available, which provide insights into reader's progress and speed. Incorporate them.
7) Audio books are one of the great ways to get those students who wouldn't spend time reading it all. These can be used to listen and learn.
8) Reward them for reading.
9) Discuss the topics they have read.
10) Allow them to decide which books and authors they would like to read, however, be sure they are student-safe.
When reading becomes fun, then the students will automatically love reading.