Friends are the most important people in life. We are all aware of the fact that at times, it is easier to talk to a friend about a difficult issue than talking it over with a member in a family. this is due to the fact that we are not sacred of our friends. We know that we will not be grounded for our mistakes if we share that with a friend and we are aware of the fact that friends understand and back us up as required. Due to these reasons and more, we can conclude that a true friend would know more about a person than his/her relative would.
This is why it becomes important for parents to become their child's friends. What advantages can this have?
- The children will develop a deep trust in you.
- They will not keep you wondering about what is happening in their lives.
- They will be open to discussing issues they are facing in an open manner, eliminating the possibility of you forcing them to tell it or finding it out the way they don't want you to.
- You will never have to spy on them. You can always be sure about their whereabouts and not worry about their safety as they would have discussed it with you.
- As their friends, you will get the privilege to share their honest opinions.
- Since you no longer will be an interfering adult, they will accept your opinions and suggestions with less or no resistance.
There are many more advantages to it than we can see, and you will know them when you implement the ways to become their friends.
Here is how you can begin...
- You have to understand them by putting yourself in their shoes. Go back to the time when you were a child, what would you have done? Although, you might have done something different compared to your child, remember the fact that each person has a different perspective.
- You have to give them their space. Although you know that you are a grown up and that you can decide on things better than the child, you must always give them a chance to share what they feel.
- Speak to them about the fact that you want to be their friend and not just a parent.
- Stop being overprotective. They have to learn life. If you worry about them failing, falling etc, they will never know the true sense of life.
- Care for them but do not impose things such that they feel their freedom is lost. Weigh your opinion against theirs, sit and discus the pros and cons of them both.
- It is ok to let them hang out with friends of their age group. It is ok to let them decide on what they would like to wear; but, if you see that it is going the wrong way, reason things out with them and educate them about the ill-effects their decisions could have.
- Do not blackmail them emotionally. You are a grown up and hence you ought to know better ways to convince them than this!
There can be no happier child than the one who has his/her parents as his/her best friends. Friendship is all about being supportive when the things are right and guiding them onto to the correct path when it isn't. It is a give and take relationship. Understand the core of the things, analyse and respond in a positive manner. It can solve a lot of family issues. This is what we had to say.
Please share your thoughts here: https://www.facebook.com/careerindia.com