Reservation Stands for State Board Quota in Tamilnadu MBBS and BDS Admissions

Posted By:

After the protests against NEET, the Tamilnadu medical college admissions will now stave it off through reservation for state board quota. According to this reservation, 85% of the Tamilnadu MBBS and BDS seats be allocated for state board quota and the rest 15% for the other board school graduates.

Citing discrimination, some petitioners, requested the Madras High Court to stay the order and allow equal allocation of seats for all the candidates who had cleared NEET. The petitioners submitted that the allocation of seats in medical colleges on the basis of the Board of Education has been frowned upon and quashed by the Supreme Court.

Reservation Stands for State Board Quota in TN

High Court's response to reservation on MBBS seats

However, the Madras High Court today refused to stay a Tamil Nadu government order. Justice Pushpa Sathyanarayana declined to grant any interim stay on the government's order while hearing a plea by one Darnish Kumar and two others, challenging the June 22 order.

Clarity Sought

The bench, however, issued notices to the Health and Family Welfare Department's secretary, Medical Education's additional director, the Selection Committee's secretary and the Medical Council of India, seeking their stands on the plea by July 5.

Also Read: NEET 2017 Counselling Schedule Released: Check Now!

Supreme Court order

The Supreme Court has clearly stated that when admission is based on entrance examination NEET, it should make no difference whether the qualifying examination is conducted by the state board or Central Board of Secondary Education because no discrimination can be made between the schools affiliated to both the boards, they submitted.

Petitioner's argument

The petitioners further stated that once a common merit list is prepared for the purpose of grant of admission to MBBS and BDS courses based on NEET results, the only permissible reservation is in favour of students who have studied in schools situated within Tamil Nadu.

Therefore, it is impermissible for distribution of seats on the basis of the school board and therefore such segregation of seats would amount to discrimination among students, he added.

Also ReadMedical Colleges List for NEET 2017 Counselling in Tamilnadu and Karnataka Released

For Quick Alerts
For Daily Alerts


    Thousands of Careerindia readers receive our evening newsletter.
    Have you subscribed?

    For great career opportunity, get instant updates on Education, Career & Job

    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. This includes cookies from third party social media websites and ad networks. Such third party cookies may track your use on Careerindia sites for better rendering. Our partners use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Careerindia website. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time. Learn more