Introduction -Basic concepts in thermodynamics. Objectives and limitations of classical thermodynamics.
1. Zeroth law of thermodynamics
2. First Law of Thermodynamics -Forms of Energy, Heat and Work, Joules Experiments, Conservation of Energy, Concept of Maximum Work, Isothermal Expansion, Reversible, Adiabatic Expansion, Constant Pressure Processes, Constant Volume Processes, Enthalpy.
3. Second Law of Thermodynamics-Efficiency of cyclic process. Carnot cycle. Entropy. Thermodynamic equation of state. Statistical Entropy Physical Meaning of Entropy, Boltzman Equation, Mixing Entropy, Stirling's Approximation Auxiliary Functions Fundamental Equations of State, Max well Relationships, Other Thermodynamic Relations, Chemical Potential, Gibbs-Helmholtz Equation, Criteria of Equilibria.
4. Third law of Thermodynamics. Heat Capacity and Entropy Changes. Sensible Heats, Transformation Heats, Reaction Heats, ?Cp, ?H=f(T), ?S=f(T), Adiabatic Flame Temperatures, Heat Balances.
Phase Equilibria in One Component Systems
5. Clausius-Claperyon Equation, Heats of Vaporization Fro m Vapor Pressure Data, Shift in Transformation
6. Temperature with Pressure
7. Fugacity, activity and equilibrium constant. Vant Hoff's isotherm. Ellingham diagrams and application.
ADVANCED MATERIAL SCIENCE:
Electrical and Electronic properties of materials, Electronic conductivity, free electron theory and band theory of solids. Intrinsic semi-conductors. Super conductivity. Magnetic properties, Dia, para, ferro, ferri magnetism. Soft and hard magnetic materials and applications. Optical properties of materials. Refractive index, absorption emission of light, optical fibers. Opto-electro nic materials. Polymerization, cross linking glass transition, classification of polymers. Mechanical properties, dielectric behaviour of materials. Uses of polymers.
Ceramics and glasses, crystalline and non-crystalline ceramics. Structure of ceramics and glasses. Major mechanical and optical properties. Composite materials. Classification. Matrices and reinforcements. Fabrication methods. Examples and applications.
Nano Materials: Importance, Emergence of Nano-Technology, Bottom-Up and Top-down app roaches, challenges in Nano-Technology. Applications.