As the world has advanced towards technology, we live in an era where information can be acquired from any part of the world from any place, any time and from anybody. The newest advancement in technology is the one where education is being transmitted in the form of bits and bytes across the world. A student who can only dream of being a part of a university located in the other part of the world can now stay at home and study the course that the college has to offer.
Gone are the days where the student had to travel all the way to the classrooms to gain knowledge. The advent of online classes have provided path for many to have an access to knowledge.
The advantages of online classes:
* Affordable.The living expenses, the travel expenses, adjustments to new culture, moving away from home and family etc. can be avoided in the online class.
* Convenient. The classes can be attended to at any place and any time as per the student's choice.
* No distractions. There is no other student out there to disturb the class. Uninterrupted learning can be achieved.
* The materials can be stored and used for long time. Some especially, videos containing lectures come with the option of downloading and re-viewing. So, if there is a doubt, the same can be repeated several times without actually annoying any teacher as such.
* Even those who are working during the day time can opt for distance learning and educate themselves.
* It is an independent mode of learning.
Disadvantages of these kind of classes could be:
* One has to have an access to the Internet.
* Backup for power supply is a must. Otherwise important updates can be missed out.
* If there is an issue with the subject or anything else, immediate aid cannot be assured. As it is online, a query sent will be answered only if there is someone online on the other end. If not, the student has to wait until a response comes back.
* There is no interaction with others. It is an isolated form of learning.
* Many things can be learnt form a peer, but in this form, there is no option for the same in "real-time" (unless there is a web chat or a forum where the others attending the class can discuss the subject).
However, this must not stop us from considering the pros and cons of the traditional offline classrooms...
The advantages of offline classrooms:
* The process of learning is not isolated.
* There is an instructor or a teacher present at all times to answer the student's queries.
* Exchange of ideas and views in offline classrooms is "real-time" and effective.
* Probability of learning is high. As there are other students learning along and sharing knowledge.
* Any doubts and problems can be solved immediately.
* The true form of learning is where there is involvement of people sharing and receiving knowledge without delay. And this is achieved in a conventional offline classroom.
Disadvantages of offline classrooms:
*It is not completely an independent way of learning.
* The students tend to be overly dependent on the teacher for every detail.
* Travel expenses, accommodations etc must be taken care of, if the student hails from a place where there is no school or educational institution.
* The learning is confined to fixed timings. It can only occur between the classroom's timings.
* Chances of exploring more and finding things out for themselves from the students is limited.
Therefore, each has its own pros and cons. When the distance and funding is considered, online classes are much better than offline classes. If there is no issue with the distance and expenses, offline classes are a much better choice. Hence, as per a student's convenience these types of classes are effective in their own ways.
This is what we had to say. Please share your views here: https://www.facebook.com/careerindia.com