To improve the quality of teaching at all levels of education, the Government is putting its best foot forward to roll out the four-year Bachelor in Education (B.Ed) course. In February 2019, the Human Resource Development Ministry has proposed the 4-year BEd course. Recently, HRD Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank informed the Rajya Sabha that the new BEd course was formulated and will start from this academic session. He also assured that after amendments in the Right to Education Act, teachers can avail the training until October 31, 2019. If you are one amongst the teacher aspirants, one should not miss the details regarding this integrated course.
Background Behind 4-year BEd
There is a saying that ''Those who can, do; and those who cannot, teach,'' which means people will take up the teaching profession who don't possess skills in any particular industry. If this is the case to the education will not improve. To make teaching profession of choice instead of leftover, the government has rolled out a four-year integrated BEd course.
BEd Course Available In Three Types
Interested candidates can opt the course in three types. Candidates can undertake either BA-BEd, Bsc-BEd and BCom-BEd. One can choose this integrated four-year BEd course which will save one year instead of five years (3 years bachelor degree + 2 years BEd).
Eligibility To Join 4-Year BEd Course
Candidates can join the 4-year BEd course after graduating in their Class 12. The National Council for Teacher Education (NCTE) is working on the BEd curriculum.
What About Students Who Have Pursued Bachelors Degree
The government will be providing grace time to candidates who have completed their bachelor's or master's degree students. They can avail the two-year BEd course or three-year integrated BEd + MEd course. Aspirants are advised to track the latest updates as the government has not yet announced how long this grace period would be available.
What You Should Know About New 4-Year Integrated BEd Course
- The Bachelor of Education (BE.d) is a four-year undergraduate programme to take up the teaching profession and related fields.
- This course is mandatory to become a teacher at the secondary (Classes 6 to 10) and higher secondary (10+2 or Classes 11 and 12).
- Every year, the entrance exam will be conducted in May/June.
- Candidates are advised to check the B.Ed syllabus before taking up the course - http://www.ncert.nic.in/departments/nie/dtee/activities/pdf/Syllabus_BEd.pdf
- The two-year BEd course was divided into four semesters. There is no announcement yet regarding semesters of 4-year BEd.
- On average, the course fee charged by the institutes ranges from Rs 30,000 to Rs 60,000 per year.