Department of Computer Science - Banasthali Vidyapith, Tonk, is one of the constituent parts of Banasthali Vidyapith (Banasthali University). The university was established on October 6, 1935.
Banasthali is one of the five higher education institute in India meant exclusively for Women. Over these years, Banasthali has developed into a National Centre for women's education.
The Computer Science department is the core of Apaji Institute of Mathematics & Applied Computer Technology. The department operates from the building "ICICI Centre for Advanced Studies in Computer Science".
At present, the department run courses under the Banasthali Vidyapith, Tonk. The department is recognized & approved by University Grants Commission (UGC) and All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE), New Delhi.
Originally, the Banasthali Vidyapith was established in 1935 and became a deemed to be the university in 1983. It was established as a school for girls in the memory of their departed daughter, Shantabai, by her parents, Smt. Ratan Shastri and Pandit Hiralal Shastri, in course of time, it began to offer undergraduate and graduate courses for women.
It is a women’s university and the only one in the northern states of the country. It is an “Approved Institution” of the University of Rajasthan, which gave it some degree of autonomy, it subsequently sought university status and became a deemed university in 1983, so that, it could enjoy greater autonomy to achieve its educational goals.
The Vidyapith is a unitary university with certificate, diploma and degree programmes and also has a school attached to it. It is situated on 610 acres of land.
Presently, it has 19 departments with 23 postgraduate courses, 19 Ph.D., 2 M.Phil., 3 Postgraduate Diploma, 7 Diploma, and 10 Certificate courses etc.
There are 196 permanent faculty members in this university, of whom, 125 have only the Master’s Degree, while 57 have Ph.D. and 14 have M.Phil. In addition, there are 20 temporary teachers, of whom, one is part-time and 17 of those 20 have a Master’s Degree only. Two-thirds of the Faculty are women.
At present, this department offers 11 various undergraduate and postgraduate courses with various specializations and offers some part-time courses under the affiliating university.