Australia is the most sought after place for international students as it provides quality courses, organised lifestyle and educative environment for students.
The dream to pursue education in Australia has come true, and now it is time to think on arranging student visa.
Here we have listed out few important steps that one should follow to procure student visa.
What is OSP?
An overseas student programme (OSP) offered by the Australian government, allows people who are not Australian citizens or Australian permanent residents to study in Australia.
- If student wants to pursue education under the OSP programme, he/she must obtain a student visa before commencement of course in Australia
- And the student visa will be issued only if student wish to undertake a registered course or part of a registered course on a full-time basis in Australia
- A registered course is an education or training course offered by an Australian education provider who is registered with the Australian Government to offer courses to overseas students
Education system in Australia
Education system is divided into three levels: Primary, Secondary and Vocational Education,Training and Higher Education.
Apart from the these, there are other courses available to international student to undertake study in Australia, such as English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS) and non-award courses.
How to apply for a student visa to Australia?
Student could opt any of the following modes to apply
1. At the Australian High Commission
Applications and passports can be sent directly to the following address through courier or postal service.
The Visa Office
Australian High Commission
New Delhi 110021
2. In person at Australian High Commission
Clients will not be admitted to the Australian High Commission to lodge visa or citizenship applications without a prior appointment.
To fix appointments you can send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or call up on +91 11 4122 1000
In the appointment requisition you are expected to include your name and passport number, telephone number and the purpose of your appointment in the mail.
3. Online process
Visa applications can be lodged online for processing at centres in Australia. Refer to the e-visa section to apply online.
Before submitting an application, please ensure your application is complete and that you have all the necessary documentation. Incomplete applications may result in longer processing times.
Documents required to obtain student visa in Australia
- Additional Information Form 1221
- Visa Application Charge 540 AUD payable through Credit Card
- Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE)
- Original Passport
- Copy of the passport (Notarised)
- Four passport photographs
- Statement of purpose
- Academic Documents (original and photocopies)
- IELTS test result (original and photocopies)
- Financial documents (originals and photocopies)Work experience documents (original and photocopy)
To prioritize your application, DIAC encourages students to lodge their visa applications as soon as they receive eCOE. Students have to make sure that they have met the English language requirements before lodging the visa application.
Types of student visa in Australia and application process
Student visas are divided into subclasses depending on the type of study in which the student has enrolled
- The application process differs based on student's assessment level, which depends on your country of origin and the type of study you intend to undertake. Assessment of student can be done at the Student Visa Assessment Levels page on the DIBP website
- The applicant has to submit greater amount of evidence to support their student visa application if he/she undergoes the higher assessment level
- Student visa applicants, who lodge their applications with an Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) from a participating university/eligible non-university provider for a bachelor degree, masters degree, doctoral degree, student exchange programme or study abroad programme are eligible for streamlined visa processing. (These applicants do not require an assessment level and are processed with reduced number of evidence)
Fees and charges for Australian student visa
- A non-refundable application charge is applicable to most visa applications
- If the applicant is accompanied with eligible family members to live with him/her in Australia the additional applicant charges should be paid for each additional member, which will be included in a combined visa application.
- The application charge is added to the base application charge and varies according to the age of the additional applicant
- In addition to the specified charges, there may be other expenses associated with your visa application, such as costs for medical examinations, police checks and the translation of documents into English