Just like the way Australia offers many options in its education, similarly there are way many options for accommodation as well. This ensures that anyone coming to study in Australia will be staying just the way he/she wants.
But unlike other countries Australia does not provide hostel facilities inside the universities, very few or no university provide housing inside the campus. Many international students live off universities.
As mentioned earlier there are many options to stay off campus, here are the following.
Guest House and Hostel
- In this accommodation, students need to cook for themselves, the bathroom and kitchen facilities are shared.
- Organisation like youth hostel Australia and Young Men's Christian Association (YMCA) run such accommodation.
- Here opportunity for social interaction among other international students is very high.
- These accommodations are cheaper than other types of accommodation
- The cost for this works around AUD 80 - AUD 135 per week
- We mentioned that many students prefer staying outside campus, but for students who prefer to stay inside the campus, here is some hope.
- Some of the universities in Australia provide housing for their students through apartments or residential colleges or halls of residence.
- Charges and availability of theses accommodations depends on the university. Hence students should be in contact with their institution before arriving to Australia.
- These type of living are very popular as well as limited, therefore applying to these housing should be done as early as possible.
- The prices for this accommodation can be anywhere from AUD 80 - AUD 250 per week.
- This program makes an international students stay along with an Australian family in their home.
- This is the greatest opportunity to students who want imbibe themselves into Australian culture completely.
- This accommodation is very popular with students who have enrolled themselves in short-term English courses or secondary students.
- Rooms can be single or on sharing basis.
- Meals are usually covered in the charges, apart from that self cook homestay's are also available.
- Universities or institutions generally lists of reputed and approved homestay providers.
- Many of you may choose to stay with friends together. If you are looking out for several house mates under one roof, then you can go ahead with rental properties.
- These accommodations are usually not furnished.
- This type of housing requires advance rent payment in addition to security payment, which comes up-to one month rent.
- General cost is around AUD 100 - AUD 400 per week.
- Shared rental housing costs around AUD 70 -AUD 250 per week
- These colleges provides international students accommodation, meals and many other services.
- Because of the wide range of services offered, they are generally more expensive than halls of residence, which also offer accommodations, but with fewer added services than residential colleges.
- Halls of residence accommodations include some meals and cleaning services, but self-catering facilities are also available for students who wish to be more independent.
- Study in Australia
- Learning in Australia
- Why to Study in Australia?
- How much does it cost to study in Australia?
- People in Australia
- Visa Requirements