UGC's order to drop the University status for many varsities such as Symbiosis University, Teri University, Manipal University and others for non-compliance will soon see the next step.
In its directive to the present Universities, it had warned it to tag the 'deemed to be' status instead of deemed status until it comes out with a clean chit for the non-compliance charges.
On Wednesday, the UGC sent notices to 29 such institutes and has asked them to email the compliance report by 4 pm on Thursday, November 30 or 'necessary action would be initiated against the institution which may include recommending withdrawal of the declaration'.
UGC orders removal of University status
In a circular issued by UGC on November 10, as many as 123 education facilities of higher education which are deemed to be universities to stop using the word 'university' in their names.
These orders cam after the Supreme Court on November 3 ordered the UGC to direct deemed-to-be-universities from refraining to use the word 'university' in their names. The UGC, earlier, had mentioned that universities who will fail to comply will invite necessary action against the deemed to be university in accordance with UGC.
Symbiosis International University, the Bengaluru-based Christ University and Jain University were the first on the list of varsities who were ordered to remove the University from their names on charges of non-compliance. Since thousands of students are enrolled in such institutes, UGC wanted these colleges to play fair without tarnishing the UGC status.
Universities resort to different names
Following the order, Teri University has planned to make it Teri School of Advanced Studies and Manipal University would call itself Manipal Academy of Higher Education.
List of Universities notified
- Lingaya's University
- Maharishi Markandeshwar University
- Christ University
- Jain University
- Yenepoya University
- SYMBIOSIS International University
- Gurukul Kangri Vishwavidyalaya
- Punjab Engineering College
- National University of Educational Planning & Administration
- TERI School of Advanced Studies
- K.L.E. Academy of Higher Education and Research
- Manipal Academy of Higher Education
- Kalinga Insitute of lndustrial Technology
- Thapat Institute of Engineering & Technology
- Banasthali Vidyapith
- Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham
- B.S. Abdur Rahman Institute of Science & Technology
- Meenakshi Academy of Higher Education and Research
- Ponnaiyah Ramajayam Institute of Science & Technology (PRIST) Sathyabama Institute of Science and Technology
- Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences
- Shanmugha Arts Science, Technology & Research Academy (SASTRA)
- S.R.M Institute of Science and Technology
- Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute
- Vinayaka Mission's Research Foundation
- Central lnstitute of Higher Tibetan Studies
- Sam Higginbottom Institute of Agriculture, Technology & Sciences
- Shobit Institute of Engineering & Technology
- Ramakrishna Mission
- Vivekananda Educational and Research Institute