Every year, the National Statistics Day observed on June 29 across the country. The Statistics Day is celebrated in India to commemorate the birth anniversary of Prasanta Chandra Mahalanobis. He is a world-renowned statistician and acclaimed for his contributions in the field of economic planning and statistical development. In recognition of Prasanta Chandra Mahalanobis contributions, the Govt of India decided to celebrate June 29 as National Statistics Day.
National Statistics Day On June 29
The Government of India decided to celebrate Prof. Prasanta Chandra Mahalanobis birthday (29 June) as National Statistics Day. A notification was published in the Gazette of India on June 5, 2007. The day is celebrated by holding seminars, discussions and competitions to highlights the importance of official statistics in national development.
National Statistics Day Theme
2020 - "Good Health and Well Being and Gender Equality"
2019 - "Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)"
Prasanta Chandra Mahalanobis Biography
- Prof Prasanta Chandra Mahalanobis was born in Kolkata on June 29, 1893. He died on 28 June, 1972.
- He is famous across the world for "Mahalanobis Distance."
- He is one of the members of the first Planning Commission.
- Prasanta Chandra Mahalanobis established the Indian Statistical Institute in 1931.
- Mahalanobis was honoured by the government by calling him the Father of Indian Statistics.