When Samir Banerjee, an Indian-origin American, won the Wimbledon boys' singles title on Sunday (July 11), it was a proud moment for tennis fans in India as well. It was just his second time that he was participating in a Grand Slam tournament.
After beating Victor Lilov in an all-American final on No. 1 Court, Indian-American Samir Banerjee has won the Wimbledon men's junior title. Banerjee, who is 17 years old, defeated Lilov 7-5, 6-3 and lost three sets in all of his matches at the All England Club. Banerjee was an unseeded player at the outset of the event, but his performance astounded everyone.
Here Are Some Facts About Samir Banerjee.
- Samir Banerjee is a 17-year-old American who hails from New Jersey.
- He didn't have a coach at the tournament, and his regular trainer Carlos Esteban wasn't with him since his wife had tested positive for COVID-19, according to reports.
- In the absence of his coach, Samir was joined by his uncle Kanad.
- He previously competed in the French Open, but "he lost to a good player," according to him.
- Samir's father, Kunal, was born in Assam, and his mother was raised in Andhra Pradesh before migrating to the United States in the mid-1980s and marrying there.
- Vijay Amritraj, the Indian tennis legend, complimented Banerjee, saying that it was a wonderful triumph for Indian American 17-year-old Samir Banerjee in the boys' singles at Wimbledon 2021. Wishing him all the best for future.
- In next months, the teenager is expected to take a break from the tour to enroll at Columbia University for a degree in either economics or political science.
Sumit Nagal and Vietnam's Ly Hoang Nam won the Wimbledon boys' doubles tournament in 2015, while Yuki Bhambri was the last Indian to win a junior singles championship at the Australian Open in 2009.
When Ramanathan Krishnan won the 1954 Junior Wimbledon Championship, he became the first Indian to win a junior major. His son, Ramesh Krishnan won the junior Wimbledon and junior French Open titles in 1970, while Leander Paes won the junior Wimbledon and junior US Open titles in 1990.