After the announcement of JEE Advanced results on June 10, students should now focus on the counselling part. Most of us know that the Joint Seat Allocation Authority (JoSAA) 2018 has been set up by the HRD Ministry to manage and regulate the joint seat allocation for admissions to the participating institutes that include IITs, NITs, IIITs and other GFTIs.
The JoSAA counselling will begin during the second week of June 2018. The first step for the counselling process is the registration. Candidates have to register using their JEE Main 2018 credentials. Candidates who have qualified in JEE Advanced 2018 have to login using their JEE Advanced credentials. After the registration, the next step is the most important task in the counselling process; filling-in of choices and locking of choices. Let's get into the details of this process.
Filling-in Of Choices & Locking Of Choices
- According to JoSAA, candidates may fill in their choice of institutes and branches in decreasing order of their preference.
- Candidates are strongly urged to fill in as many choices of their interest as possible.
- One should choose the choices based on their eligibility. However, the list of choices will be available on the screen once the registration process is done.
- Candidates who qualified in JEE Main 2018 can choose the institutes NITs, IIITs and other GFTIs.
- Only those who qualified in JEE Advanced 2018 are eligible to apply to all the participating institutes.
- Once the selection is done, candidates can now arrange their choices by selecting "Arrange Filled Choices".
- To modify the selected options, candidates have options such as "Choice Inter Change" and "Choice Rearrange". Once the rearrangement and other tasks are completed, candidates can click on the save button.
- Candidates can even delete one or more options by selecting "Multiple Deletion".
- After the choices are arranged, one can either choose "I agree to lock my choices" or "I will lock my choices later". However, candidates have to lock their choices before the final date.
- A printout of the choices can be taken out by the candidates.
Tips To Filling-in Of Choices
- Prior to filling in your choices, you should chalk out your priorities.
- Candidates should be more careful while selecting the four-year and/or five-year course.
- Explore the past year's cut-off ranks and make a list of choices which might help you get a seat during the first round of the counselling process.
- Candidates are suggested to select the choices according to decreasing order of their preference.
- One should also check the life on campus, culture and location of the institute prior to filling in their choices.
- Work on the mock seat allocation, which displays the choices filled in by the candidates.
- Never lock your choices on the very first day, because your priorities might keep changing the more you explore.
- We suggest you lock your choices only 24 hours before the deadline and avoid the last-minute rush.