Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC) in partnership with the Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India and the Centre for Media Studies (CMS) is looking for excellent Indian journalist for DST-SDC Media Fellowship. These fellowships are granted to work on the project of Climate Change Impacts and Adaptation in the Indian Himalayan Region.
The objective of the Fellowship is to facilitate a deeper understanding among journalists and enhance public awareness on issues related to climate change and sustainable mountain development.
These fellowships are open to journalists working in print, electronic and digital media.
These fellowships are awarded in the field of journalism.
These fellowships will cover the followings:
- The value of the Fellowship, inclusive of honorarium, travel, research, insurance, and contingency grant is Rs. 60,000.
Numbers of Scholarships:
- Twelve fellowships are available. Fellowship can be taken in India.
Who can Apply?
Applicants should have at least five years of experience in journalism.
- Mid-career and senior journalists from print, electronic and digital media are eligible to apply.
- Applicants may or may not belong to the Himalayan region but should do his or her Fellowship work in the Himalayan region only.
- The candidates should have a demonstrated commitment to a career in journalism and should have covered environmental issues in the past.
- The Fellowship is only for individuals who are Indian citizens.
- More than one journalist from the same media house may apply.
- Journalists working in non-English media are welcome to apply but must indicate proficiency in English, as English is the working language of the Fellowship.
- Freelancers are eligible to apply provided they fulfill all other conditions.
- Story ideas and experience in covering environment issues.
- Stories for the Fellowship should be done in the Himalayan region.
- Writing/reporting skills- like in-depth stories, human interest stories, features, etc.
How to Apply?
- Applicants must submit the following items to email@example.com by 31 May 2017.
- A 300-350 words proposal outlining story ideas and proposed plan for a field visit.
- Updated CV (containing information on relevant work experience, designations held, approximate number of stories published/broadcast, educational qualifications).
- An undertaking that, in the event of their selection, the applicant will produce a letter of support from their respective editor/competent authorities, indicating support during the Fellowship.
- The letter must also mention that they are on contract with an established, mainstream media outlet in India.
- Two recent examples of their work published in newspapers or on website or portals/broadcast.
- An independent jury will be established to review the applications.
- The decisions of the jury will be final and binding.
- Results of the jury will be announced by the second week of June.
- One Fellowship each in 2017 is reserved for women journalists and for journalists from North-East India.
- Deadline for Submitting Applications: 31 May 2017.
- The announcement of Fellowships: Second Week of June 2017.
- Fellowship Duration: July- September 2017.
- Publication/Broadcast of Stories: Before November 2017