Saha Institute Of Nuclear Physics Offers Fellowship For Indian Students.
Students are invited to join the Ph.D. program of the Institute of Physics and Biophysical Sciences starting from 2017-18 academic session.
The program starts with a Pre-Ph D course work, popularly known as Post M.Sc. Programme. For Physics stream, the Post M.Sc. program is divided into two streams: Theoretical Physics and Experimental Physics.
What is the course level of the fellowship?
The fellowships are available for pursuing Ph.D. program.
What is the study subject of the fellowship?
These fellowships are awarded in the subjects of Physics and Biophysical Sciences.
Where can the fellowship be taken?
The fellowship can be taken in India.
Who can apply for the fellowship?
Nationality: Applicants of India can apply for these fellowships.
Entrance Requirement: Applicants must have M.SC degree.
Applicants must meet the following area for these fellowships:
- M.Sc. in Physics / Chemistry (with Life Science at 10+2 level) or M.Sc. in Life Sciences (with Chemistry and Mathematics at 10+2 level).
- Students appearing in the final examinations for their Masters' degrees during the current academic session may also apply.
- However, their admission will be made provisional till they successfully pass their Masters' degrees in compliance with the cut-off requirement for SINP screening procedure (to be announced later).
A first screening will be done based on previous academic records of the applicants. A further shortlist of candidates will be prepared based on the performance in nation-wide screening test as mentioned below:
For Physics (Experimental and Theoretical):
- Joint Entrance Screening Test (JEST)
- GATE in Physics
- CSIR/UGC NET for JRF in Physics
For Biophysical Sciences:
- Joint Graduate Entrance Examination for Biology and Interdisciplinary Life Sciences (JGEEBILS) conducted by NCBS-TIFR.
- CSIR/ UGC/ DBT/ ICMR NET for JRF.
- GATE in Life Sciences, Biotechnology, Physics, and Chemistry.
Fellowships and benefits:
The selected students are admitted to Post M.Sc. as Junior Research Fellow (JRF). Depending on the selection procedure and eligibility in nation-wide screening tests, there are two kinds of fellowships the students can enjoy.
SINP fellowships for candidates who are selected through JEST, JGEEBILLS, GATE:
- ₹25,000/- p.m. for 1st two years
- ₹28,000/- p.m. for subsequent years
- Tenure: 4 years, extendable to 5th year subject to satisfactory performance
- Contingency, HRA etc. as per rule.
Extramural fellowships awarded by external funding authorities of Govt of India (UGC, CSIR NET, DBT and ICMR) for candidates who are selected through NET:
- The amount of fellowship, contingency grant, HRA etc. will be as per CSIR/ UGC/ DBT/ ICMR rules (SINP will take no financial responsibility for students selected in this scheme).
- Candidates with SINP Fellowship: 20
- Candidates with Extramural Fellowship: 20.
- Please note that candidates seeking admission to SINP Ph.D. programmes need to apply through on-line application portal (available from March 1, 2017) with hall ticket or roll or registration number /rank/ percentile marks of national level qualification tests like JEST-2017, JGEEBILS-2017 (held on Dec 11, 2016), NET, GATE.
- JGEEBILS-2017 qualified candidates: Leave the "Rank" field blank.
- Please ensure the correctness of address with pin code, e-mail, and phone number. An e-mail will be used to send admit card automatically.
- Please enter the only percentage marks up to first place of decimal (xx.x) without the % symbol.
Approximate number of Intake:
- No SINP written entrance test will be conducted.
- The short-listed candidates will be called for the next level of selection procedure including an interview process to be held at SINP (during May-June 2017)
- The short-listed candidates will be informed by e-mail and also through an announcement on our web page.
- Physics (Experimental & Theory) - May 22-25, 2017
- Biophysical Sciences - June 12-16, 2017
- The final selection of candidates will be done on the basis of their performances in all the above stages of screening and selection.
- The selected candidates will be informed by e-mail and also through an announcement on our web page.
How to Apply:
The mode of applying is online mode.
- Submission deadline: April 15, 2017, for Physics
- May 7, 2017, for Biophysical Sciences.