Some injuries are not physical but can harm more than physical ones. A psychological damage is much more grievous in nature and can cause permanent affect on a personality. John Hopkins University has come up with an online course named Psychological First Aid. The course is available on cousera and will start from November 14.
About the course:
Psychological First Aid will teach to provide psychological first aid to people in an emergency by employing the RAPID model: Reflective listening, Assessment of needs, Prioritization, Intervention, and Disposition.
Utilizing the RAPID model (Reflective listening, Assessment of needs, Prioritization, Intervention, and Disposition), this specialized course provides perspectives on injuries and trauma that are beyond those physical in nature. The RAPID model is readily applicable to public health settings, the workplace, the military, faith-based organizations, mass disaster venues, and even the demands of more commonplace critical events, e.g., dealing with the psychological aftermath of accidents, robberies, suicide, homicide, or community violence. In addition, the RAPID model has been found effective in promoting personal and community resilience.
Participants will increase their abilities to:
- Discuss key concepts related to PFA
- Listen reflectively
- Differentiate benign, non-incapacitating psychological/ behavioral crisis reactions from more severe, potentially incapacitating, crisis reactions
- Prioritize (triage) psychological/ behavioral crisis reactions
- Mitigate acute distress and dysfunction, as appropriate
- Recognize when to facilitate access to further mental health support
- Practice self-care
What will one learn from this course?
It is a five week long course and has the given modules which will be completed one by one in each week.
- Reflective Listening/Rapport
- Assessment and Prioritization
- Intervention and Disposition
- Self-care and Wrap up
Creators of the course:
The course has been created by John Hopkins University. The mission of The John Hopkins University is to educate its students and cultivate their capacity for life-long learning, to foster independent and original research, and to bring the benefits of discovery to the world.
Go to the official page and enroll in the course.