University of London is offering an online course on 'Enhance Your Career and Employability Skills'. The course enables you to learn how to make effective decisions about your future career and how to take control of your professional development.
About the course
This course would be complementary to any additional course of study as it enables you to recognise your own strengths, skills and understand how best you articulate those preferences and achievements to future employers or academic institutions in the future.
- Week One: What do you want? Self Awareness
What do you need from your career? Identifying and assessing careers values
Self discovery or self creation where does your true career identity reside?
Can you predict what will make you happy? Common problems in anticipating the future
- Week Two: What can you offer? Skills Awareness
Can you speak the secret language of skills? Evidence your achievements in a meaningful way
Making yourself instantly attractive. What skills are employers asking for?
How can you build your skills? Education and experience. what's the best investment?
- Week Three: Are you ready to find success? Career Readiness
Are you open to opportunities? What behaviours increase your chances of getting lucky breaks?
Are you using the right methods? Finding right opportunities for you?
Can you create your own job?
- Week Four: How do you express yourself? Articulating Your Experiences
Are you using the right medium for the message? CVs, portfolios and other ways of selling yourself
Your personal brand. What does your on-line profile say about you?
Can you decode job descriptions? Process for preparing better applications
- Week Five: What impact do you make? Making a Good Impression in Person
Do interviews always have to be nerve-wracking? The secrets to interview confidence
Can you deal with bad interviewers? Common interviewer weaknesses and how to use them
Can you increase the chances that people will like you? Maximising first impressions
- Week Six: How do you build fruitful relationships? Networking Online and in Person
Does networking actually work? The benefits of loose ties
Are you using online media effectively? How LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter can help your career
Is networking just for job hunting? The social workplace and the power of relationships
- Course is designed to be useful and informative regardless of your professional background or stage of career development.Thus, interested candidates can join
- Course length: 6 weeks
- Course begins on: June 1