State Government Withholds Funding Delhi Colleges

By Divya

The Delhi University (DU) was asked by the Delhi Government to form a governing body in every government-funded college. According to which every college must have a governing body with 15 members, out of which five members would be nominated by the government.

The state government as on June 8, 2017, had written to DU asking it to speed up the notification for the governing body and to begin appointment of new staff in these colleges 'only after constituting a new governing body'.

Delhi Govt Witholds Funding Delhi Colleges


However, the Delhi University has deferred forming a governing body in government-funded colleges as they did not respond to the notice of time. Therefore, now the Delhi government is now moving foward to withhold funds to these colleges.

In a tweet, Deputy Chief Minister, Mr. Manish Sisodia confirmed the same.

The tweet was followed by another tweet in which Mr. Sisiodia said that he can't allow the unchecked corruption and irregularities in the name of education. The decision to withhold the funds was decided in a meeting between Sisodia and the finance department.

As per the report, around 28 colleges were funded by the government, out of which 12 of them are fully funded which includes Shaheed Raj Guru College, Maharaja Agarsen College, Deen Dayal Upadhyaya College, Shaheed Sukhdev College of Business Studies.

While the government provides 5 per cent grant to the 16 others. The remaining 95 per cent is given by the UGC. With non-compliance of its order, the government has threatened to withhold funds to colleges.

Over 20,000 students are studying in these 28 Delhi colleges,. Earlier, there were apprehensions that the Delhi Government will set up a separate university by taking over 12 DU colleges, fully-funded by it. And now, due to failure in forming a governing body the governmenthas decided to stop providing funds to these colleges.

Also read: Delhi University Released DU LLB, LLM Counselling Schedule: Check Now!

For Quick Alerts
For Daily Alerts

Select a Field of Study
Select a Course
Select UPSC Exam
Select IBPS Exam
Select Entrance Exam

Thousands of Careerindia readers receive our evening newsletter.
Have you subscribed?

Get Instant News Updates
Notification Settings X
Time Settings
Clear Notification X
Do you want to clear all the notifications from your inbox?
Settings X
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. This includes cookies from third party social media websites and ad networks. Such third party cookies may track your use on Careerindia sites for better rendering. Our partners use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Careerindia website. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time. Learn more