Kolkata, June 10: Online admission to connected colleges in West Bengal has not been withdrawn and will continue this year, West Bengal Education minister Partha Chatterjee told in the assembly.
Making a statement in the house after Speaker Biman Banerjee refused admission to an adjourment motion moved by Congress member Asit Mitra, Chatterjee said the perception in various circles was that the entire on-line admission process to colleges had been withdrawn.
This is not the case, he said adding 75 colleges where infrastructure exists would continue online admission this year as well.
Chatterjee said there were 519 colleges where connectivity had not taken place and these would have off-line admission. Connecting all the colleges across the state under various unversities would take some and after it was done the entire process would go on-line, he added.
Earlier during the question hour, the minister said in the fiscal 2013-14, 21 lakh applications were submitted for primary teachers jobs, out of which 15,868 were absorbed.
At present there were 23,000 vacancies for primary teachers.
Meanwhile, the Left members staged a brief walk-out over the law and order situation of state, on which they brought an adjourment motion and was subsequently refused by the Speaker.
Chatterjee also announced a toll-free helpline number for college admissions - 1800 103 7033 - which would be available between 9 AM and 6 PM.
Students can call up the number of sms their queries to 9223225477 to get all the information and also lodge complaints related to admissions.