IIT Bombay is offering a short term course on space flight mechanics. It is a week long programme that covers topics such as space missions and other technicalities involved in the space. Space systems are being increasingly deployed for various purposes in the last two decades and this course will enlighten participants on various concepts and help them upgrade their knowledge about such things.
Key points covered
- Introduction to space missions
- Role of ascent
- Orbital and return missions
- Mathematical model for general ascent mission
- Rectilinear and gravity turn trajectories
- Single and multi-stage launch vehicle systems and their configuration design
- Introduction to basic orbital problem
- Two-body problem formulation and Kepler's laws
- Classical orbital elements
- Orbit determination from initial conditions
- Position & velocity prediction from orbital elements
- Different types of orbits
- Perturbation due to Earth oblateness
- Solar radiation pressure effect on orbits
- Non-Kepplerian formulation including elements of restricted 3-body problem
- Sphere of activity and Roche limit
- Introduction to orbital manoeuvres
- Introduction to inter-planetary missions
- departure and arrival concepts including planetary capture manoeuvre
- Launch to orbit (SSTO, TSTO missions)
- Rendezevous and docking manoeuvres
- Launch window concept and re-entry trajectories
Who can attend?
Faculty members of degree level engineering colleges recognized by AICTE are eligible to attend the course.
The registration and the course is held for free. However, the candidates need to make a caution deposit of Rs 2000.
Benefits for the participants
- Participants are entitled for II class or III AC railway fare to and fro by the shortest route from college to IIT Bombay.
- All participants will be given auto rickshaw fare from Kanjurmarg/ Andheri to IIT on the dates of arrival and departure.
- Local participants will be paid second class railway fare or BEST Bus fare. Boarding and lodging will also be provided free of cost.
- Accommodation will be provided in the students Hostels or Guest House on sharing basis.
Since accommodation is limited, family members of the participants cannot be accommodated.
June 19 - 23, 2017
How to apply for the short term course?
Candidates interested in applying must confirm their participation by sending a Demand Draft of .2000/- ₹ in the name of "Registrar IIT Bombay"
The last date to apply for the course is 26 May 2017