The Enforcement Directorate (ED) filed money laundering case against four school principals in Bihar to probe alleged irregularities in the 2016 Bihar topper scam.
According to the reports, officials said that the agency has booked a criminal case against a total of eight people, including former Bihar School Examination Board (BSEB) chairman and four principals, under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA).
The ED took knowledge of a Bihar Police FIR and the findings of the Special Investigation Team (SIT) to register its own Enforcement Case Information Report, in connection with the case.
The agency said that it will probe the possible 'proceeds of crime' generated by the accused. The agency is also likely to probe the illegal wealth which has been collected by the school principals.
When did the scam come into the light?
- The Bihar topper scam came into the limelight when Bihar School Examination Board (BSEB) Arts and Humanities topper Ruby Rai, Science topper Saurabh Shrestha and third topper in Science stream Rahul Kumar failed to answer basic questions on their subjects when a TV reporter interviewed them.
- In an interview with a TV channel, Humanities topper Ruby Rai described Political Science as Prodigal Science which teaches cooking. Following the scam that was exposed, embarrassed of the irregularities, the state government had ordered a SIT probe in the case.
- The other toppers, Science topper Saurabh Shrestha and third topper in the same stream Rahul Kumar too had failed to answer basic questions on their respective subjects.
- When the TV reported questions to the Science topper, Saurabh Shrestha was unable to answer what an electron and a proton are.
- After the videos of their interviews went viral, a three-member SIT was formed by the Bihar state government to look into the matter. The toppers were asked to reappear for the test and failing in the test, Ruby Rai was sent to judicial custody in a remedial home for 14 days.
- Vishun Roy College principal Bachha Rai was arrested on 11 June 2017 who was involved in the exam racket, and it was later reported that Ruby Rai's father had promised six acres of land to Bachcha Rai if he helps his daughter in clearing the exams.