Renowned scientist dies at 76 but his works remain immortal. Stephen Hawking is a noted British scientist, physicist, professor and author. His scientific theories and discoveries are groundbreaking and enlightening. Here's a journey through his education, career and more.
Hawking's education started with him receiving a first class BA Honours in cosmology when he was 21 years in 1963. This was the time that he was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis), a condition related to degenerative nerve cells.
It was then that he made up his mind to cross the hurdles to accomplish great things in life. His ambition to get a PhD in applied mathematics and theoretical physics was achieved in 1966.
Stephen Hawking's Works
The following works are his contribution to physics:
- Thesis - Properties of Expanding Universes
- The second law of black hole dynamics
- Laws of black hole mechanics
- Hawking Radiation
- The Large Scale Structure of Space-Time
- A Brief History of Time
- A Briefer History of Time
- The Universe in a Nutshell
- The Grand Design
- CBE Award - 1982
- Wolf Foundation prize - 1988
- Companion of Honour - 1989
- Presidential Medal of Freedom - 2009
- Fundamental Physics prize - 2013
- Copley Medal - 2006
- Stephen Hawking was born on the 300th death anniversary of Galileo.
- He held 13 honorary degrees.
- After being attacked by ALS, he was bound to a wheelchair and used a computerised voice system for communication.
- Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.
- The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
- Look up at the stars and not down at your feet.
- However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.
- People who boast about their IQ are losers.
- I'm not afraid of death, but I'm in no hurry to die. I have so much I want to do first.
Stephen Hawking's Publications
The Large Scale Structure of Spacetime with G F R Ellis
General Relativity: An Einstein Centenary Survey with W Israel
300 Years of Gravitation with W Israel
Stephen Hawking's Books
Stephen Hawking is a recipient of a list of awards and prizes such as:
Fascinating Facts About Stephen Hawking
Stephen Hawking's Quotes
Stephen Hawking's Death
Stephen Hawking died on Mar 14, 2018, due to his exacerbated condition of ALS.