What is Pure Science?
Pure Science is a science that derives theories and predictions. Pure Science can also known as natural Science, basic science or fundamental science. Pure sciences deals with the study of natural phenomena through observation, experimentation and use of scientific methods.
Pure science is often conducted in a laboratory.The main objective of pure science is to increase information of a particular field of study and develop scientific theories.
Physics, Chemistry, biology and Mathematics etc are some of the major streams pursued in Pure Sciences.
Pure sciences is one of the most interesting and research oriented fields. It plays a crucial role in innovation, new discoveries and inventions. Pure science creates and establishes information to understand nature. It describes the most basic objects, forces, relations between them and laws governing them, such that all other phenomena may be in principle derived from them following the logic of scientific reductionism
Studying pure sciences requires curiosity in the different phenomena that occur in nature, creating theories and hypotheses about them, and finally testing and validating them through experimentation and logic.
Different science subjects address different aspects of natural phenomena.For example Physics deals with the study of properties of matter and its constituents in the universe, as they relate to motions, force and energy. Chemistry concerns itself with the reactions of the constituents of matter to create new forms of matter. And Biology is the study of life forms including their structure, function, growth, evolution, distribution, and classification.
- Basic eligibility criteria for pursuing Pure Science education is to complete a 10+2 education with subjects like Physics, Chemistry, Maths or Biology
- Candidate should have completed 3 years graduation can pursue the post graduation course
- For Ph.d: Student should have completed post graduation with the minimum marks in the related field
Scope and Career Prospects for Pure Science:
Pure science is promising as we need it in our day to day life. There is a lot of scope in the field of science. Student can opt any subject in science such as Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics etc. Pure science, be it natural, physical or mathematical, is the backbone for research and development.
There has been a wide opportunities offered in education and career. Excellent undergraduate and integrated (undergraduate + masters) courses in various streams of science are offered by very prestigious and established educational institutions in India, such as IITs, NITs, BITS, IISc, IISERs, to name a few.
Graduates in pure science have multiple options. Some of them are as follows:
- After the completion of the course one can go for higher studies
- Since pure Science is gaining popularity educational institutions are offering placements in their institutions/universities
- If you have inclination for research you can pursue research in the related field. There is huge demand for pure science students in the west in the research arena
- Pure Science opens up plenty of opportunities in the fields of state and central research organisation.
- They can also work for public sector undertaking, which has huge demand in the recent years
- One can also join public and private sectors
College offer Pure Science Course in India:
- Indian Institute of Technology Madras
- St. Stephen's College, Delhi
- St. Xavier's College, Mumbai
- Loyola College, Chennai
- St. Xavier's College, Kolkata
- Presidency College, Kolkata
College offer Pure Science Course in Abroad:
- Lawrence Technological University
- Maryville University
- University of the West of Scotland
- Plymouth University
- Johnson & Wales University - Providence
- University of Toledo
- Bond University
- University of Akron
- Fontbonne University
- University of Colorado Boulder
- Saint Peter's University
- Abilene Christian University
Also Read: Career Option for Pure Science