Plastic Engineering consists of processing, designing, developing, and manufacturing plastic products. Plastic is a synthetic material made from a wide range of organic polymers and they can be molded into shape while soft and then set into a rigid or slightly elastic form.
What do plastic engineers do?
Plastic engineers deal with plastic materials and plastic machineries. Plastic machineries include devices, tools and machines used to make plastic products. Like other engineering disciplines, in plastic engineering too, economics play an important role.
The cost of plastic material varies depending upon the quality of plastic used in the product. Now, plastic can be recycled but that affects its consistency, recycled plastic has less consistency as compared to fresh one. Electrical and electronic equipment and motor vehicle markets together accounted for 58 percent of engineered plastics demand in 2003. Engineered plastics demand in the US was estimated at $9,702 million in 2007.
Subjects of Plastic Engineering:
- Industrial Sociology
- Industrial Chemistry
- Measurement & Metrology
- Principles of Polymerization
- Science Based Open
- Industrial Chemistry Lab
- Manufacturing Technology
- Machine Drawing
- Measurement & Metrology Lab
- Manufacturing Technology Lab
- Plastic Materials
- General Proficiency
- Engineering & Managerial Economics
- Plastic Product & Mould Design
- Analysis & Identification of Polymers Lab
- Heat & Mass Transfer
- Rheology & Testing of polymers
- Synthesis & Polymerisation Resins Lab
- Computer aided Product & Mould Design Lab
- Polymer Characterisation Lab
- Ministry of Petroleum
- Natural Gas
- Oil and Natural Gas Commission (ONGC)
- Oil India Laboratories
- Petrochemicals Engineering Plants
- Indian Institute of Petroleum
- Polymers Corporations
- Quality Control manager
- Research and Development Officer
- Design and Manufacture Engineer
Further career options:
Students who have completed their B.Tech in Plastic Engineering can either opt for a job or they can go for further studies. Students can enroll themselves for ME or M.Tech degree in Plastic Engineering.