What is Biochemistry?
Biochemistry is a branch of science. The subject explores the chemistry of living organisms and that of their biological processes.
Biochemistry deals with the chemical combinations and reactions that takes place because of the biological processes such as growth, reproduction, metabolism, heredity, etc.
Who can study Biochemistry?
Students who have passed higher secondary education or 10+2 with biology and mathematics as subjects are eligible to pursue the course.
Courses available in Biochemistry
- Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry (3 year course)
- Master of Science in Biochemistry (2 year course)
- M.Phil in Biochemistry
- Ph.D in Biochemistry
Specialisations in Biochemistry
- Molecular biology Genetics Energy and metabolism Bioinformatics
- Cell biology and signaling
- Development and disease Plant biology
Scope and Career in Biochemistry
People who pursue career in the field of Biochemistry are referred as referred as Biochemists.
Biochemists mainly study the structures and functions of enzymes, proteins, carbohydrates, fats, process of metabolism and the molecular basis of the action of genes.
As a field Biochemistry has seen unprecedented growth because of its significant contribution towards the illumination and grasping of the DNA Structure.
Biochemists can work both in public and private sectors
- Biochemists usually involved in research related works
- Biochemists work along with chemists, physicists, healthcare professionals, policy makers, engineers
- They can also work for various organisations including hospitals, universities, agriculture, food institutes, education, cosmetics, forensic crime research, drug discovery and and many more professionals
Some of the Public sector companies that offer lucrative career are as follows
- Drug Manufacturing Companies
- Public Health Entities
- Blood Service
- Industrial Laboratories
- Cancer research institutes
- Research Departments
- Educational Institutes
- Environmental Pollution Control
- Agriculture and fisheries
- Forensic Science
- Public Health Laboratories
- Cosmetic Industries, etc
- Research Scientist
- Clinical Scientist
- Research Associates
- Chemist Microbiologist
- Biomedical Scientist
- Pharmacologist Laboratory Technician
- Lecturer in an Educational institution
Fresher in the industry can expect Rs 20,000 to 25,000
Pay scale will increase according to experience
Top Colleges offer Biochemistry in India
- A J Institute of Medical Sciences, Mangalore
- BLDE University Shri B M Patil Medical College, Bijapur
- Dr. BR Ambedkar Medical College, Bangalore
- Father Muller Medical College, Mangalore
- GCS Medical College, Ahmedabad
- Institute of Medical Sciences and Sum Hospital, Bhubaneswar
- J J M Medical College, Davangere
- Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College, Belgaum
- JSS Medical College, Mysore