The Gujarat National Law University ( GNLU) is organizing the 2nd edition of the GNLU Essay Competition on Law and Society. It is a national-level essay competition and in collaboration with the Chambers of Ratan K. Singh and under the able guidance of Prof. Upendra Baxi.
What is the theme of the competition?
The following sub-themes have been identified as requiring academic consideration in this context:
- One Step into a Temple, a Giant Leap for Womankind?: Women's Right to Enter Places of Worship.
- Changing Tides of Indian Surrogacy Laws: Miscarriage of Law?
- Balancing Work and Motherhood: Desultory Reforms?
- Lifting the Veil: Muslim Women and Personal Laws
- Welfare Schemes for Women in India: A Paper Tiger?
- Women's Ease of Doing Business: Evaluation of Sexual Harassment Prevention Laws in India.
- Mediation as a Panacea for Women.
Who can apply?
- The competition is open to all undergraduate and postgraduate students enrolled in any discipline in a recognized University/ College or Institute in India.
- Co-authorship by a maximum of 2 students is permitted.
- Only one submission per author shall be entertained.
More details on Prizes and awards:
Category: Law Students
- 1st Prize - INR 15,000/ Internship at Luthra & Luthra Law Offices
- 2nd Prize - INR 7,500/ Internship at Aarna Law Advocates
- 3rd Prize - INR 2,500/ Internship at LawLex
Category: Non-law Students
- 1st Prize - INR 15, 000/ Internship at Centre for Social Research
- 2nd Prize - INR 7, 500/ Internship at ActionAid
- 3rd Prize - INR 2, 500/ Internship at Centre for Social Justice
Certificate Course by Enhelion on "Preventing Sexual Harassment at the Workplace".
Additionally, Certificates of Participation will be issued to all participants and winners.
Important Guidelines for Submission of the essay:
- The essays must be submitted in English only.
- The essays should be the original work of the authors. Any kind of plagiarism will lead to disqualification.
- The essays published elsewhere or selected or submitted for publication elsewhere shall be disqualified.
- The name(s) of the author(s) should not be mentioned anywhere in the essay.
- The word limit for the essay is 3000- 5000 words, not including footnotes.
- The essays should be typed in Times New Roman, Font Size 12 and Line Spacing 1.5.
- The footnotes must be typed in Times New Roman, Font Size 10 and Line Spacing 1.
- The margins should be 1" or 2.54 cm on all sides.
- All text should be justified.
- Every citation must follow the Harvard Bluebook, 19th Edition.
What is the submission procedure?
The essays must be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject '2nd GNLU Essay Competition on Law and Society, 2017'.
For more information, visit the official website.
Important date to remember:
- The last date for submission of essay is April 16, 2017.
- The results will be declared within two months from the last date for submission of essays.