What is Industrial Engineering?
Industrial engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the optimization of complex processes or systems.
In other words, it involves the science of engineering things to make them efficient, along with reducing production costs and improving the quality of the products and services.
What does an Industrial engineer do?
- Industrial engineers use principles of engineering, mass production and technology to help companies find ways to offer services or create a product efficiently.
- Industrial engineers work to improve product through better management and quality control.
- They rely on their knowledge of product requirements, business, safety methods to increase outputs.
How to become an Industrial engineer?
- For typical industrial engineer positions, a bachelor's degree is required. A bachelor's degree in industrial engineering is usually a 4-year degree.
- A master's degree in industrial engineering qualifies a student for positions in advanced research, management or consulting.
What are the career options for an industrial engineer?
Industrial engineers may work with supply chain and also overlook production factors, safety and budgetary concerns. An industrial engineer can pursue different careers which include the following:
- Safety Engineer
- Industrial Engineer
- Industrial Production Manager
- Industrial Engineering Technician
- Industrial Management Engineer
- Industrial Systems Engineer
Scope of Industrial Engineering as a Career Option
Skills of industrial engineering is applied to virtually every industry possible. This occupation can be termed versatile in the kind of work and the industries in which its expertise can be put to use.
What are the roles/duties of an Industrial engineer?
Industrial engineers work both in offices and in on-site locations they are trying to improve across various industries.
Some of the roles/duties an industrial engineer will be performing are as follows. An industrial engineer:
- designs the location of machines in a factory.
- designs computer-aided process planning systems that flexibly vary the sequence of operations to produce a product.
- designs product that will ensure safety of the workers.
- develops a hardware protection programme for spacecraft.
- designs automated material handling systems for the improvement of parts in a factory.
- designs a new plan for scheduling cases to operating rooms in a hospital, or production orders in a factory.
- develops reliable and quality management systems to ensure the products do not defects.
- designs computer graphics systems to assist operators in the monitoring and control of industrial processes.
Top Industrial Engineering Colleges in India
- NMIMS' Mukesh Patel School of Technology Management & Engineering, Mumbai
- JNTUH College of Engineering Hyderabad
- JSS Academy of Technical Education, Bengaluru
- RVCE College, Bengaluru
- Kakatiya Institute of Technology & Science
Top Industrial Engineering Colleges Abroad
- Northcentral University
- Stanford University
- Cornell University
- University of Miami
- University of Louisville