Medicine is the field of applied science related to the art of healing, diagnosis, treatment and prevention of disease.
In India, the field of medicine is one of the most opted choices in professional education. Its is also the most expensive and longest in duration.
Perhaps, the most distinctive feature of medical education is that expertise in this profession can be gained only with practise.
Here we present you the top 10 medical colleges across India for the year 2014.
Here are the Top 10 Medical colleges in India:
All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi was established in 1956.
- The Institute has comprehensive facilities for teaching, research and patient-care.
- AIIMS conducts teaching programs in medical and para-medical courses both at undergraduate and postgraduate levels and awards its own degrees.
For further information, visit: www.aiims.edu
Anasari Nagar East,
New Delhi - 110029.
Tel: 011 - 26588500.
Armed Forces Medical College (AFMC), Pune
- Armed Forces Medical College is a premier medical institute of India, acknowledged as a centre of excellence for education and research.
- The institute was set up on 01 May 1948.
- The institute is presently affiliated to the Maharashtra University of Health Sciences and is recognised by the MCI for conducting undergraduate and various post graduate medical courses.
For further information, visit afmc.nic.in
Armed Forces Medical College,
Wanowrie, Pune - 411040.
Christian Medical College (CMC), Vellore
- The Christian Medical College, Vellore, seeks to be a witness to the healing ministry of Christ, through excellence in education, service and research.
- The Christian Medical College believes that research plays an integral role in developing health care professionals with a commitment to excellence.
For further information, visit www.cmch-vellore.edu
Christian Medical College,
Near Sathuvacheri, 25,
Arcot Rd, Thottapalayam,
Vellore, Tamil Nadu - 632004.
Tel: 0416 - 2282040.
Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research (JIPMER), Punducherry
- Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research originated as École de Médicine de Pondichérry established by the French Government in the year 1823.
- This medical school was converted into Dhanvantari Medical College at the time of de facto transfer of Pondicherry to Government of India.
For further information, visit: www.jipmer.edu
Gorimedu, Dhanvantari Nagar,
Puducherry - 605006.
Tel: 0413 - 2272380.
Kasturba Medical College, Manipal
- Kasturba Medical College (KMC), Manipal was established on June 30, 1953, by late Dr. T. M. A. Pai. KMC and Hospital earn full AAHRPP Accreditation (Association for the Accreditation of Human Research protection Program, Inc).
- Kasturba Medical College and Hospital, Manipal are engaged in clinical trials for the last 10 years.
- Many of the trials are global. All these trials are coordinated by the Manipal Centre for Clinical Research (MCCR), Manipal University, Manipal.
For further information, visit: manipal.edu/kmc-manipal.html
Kasturba Medical College,
State Highway 65,
Madhav Nagar, Manipal,
Karnataka - 576104.
Lady Hardinge Medical College, Delhi
- Lady Hardinge Medical College was established in 1916. The college is affiliated to University of Delhi.
- In view of the considerable demand for post-graduate students, post-graduate courses were started in 1954 in affiliation with Punjab University and later on with University of Delhi in 1956.
- To start with, only female post-graduate students were admitted, but since 1970 both males and female students are being enrolled for various post-graduate courses.
For further information, visit: www.hardinge.org
Lady Hardinge Medical College,
C-604, Shaheed Bhagat Singh Rd,
DIZ Area, New Delhi - 110001.
Tel: 011 - 23363728.
Maulana Azad Medical College, Delhi
- Maulana Azad Medical College was established in 1956.
- It is affiliated to University of Delhi and approved by Medical Council of India (MCI), New Delhi.
- The college contains a hospital of 2400 beds and cater a medical service to the people in Delhi.
- The college is a tertiary care referral center and has teaching programs for graduation/medical school, post graduation/residency and sub-specialities/fellowships.
For further information, visit: www.mamc.ac.in
Maulana Azad Medical College,
Bahadur Shah Zafar Marg,
New Delhi, Delhi - 110002.
Tel: 011 - 23239272.
Grant Government Medical College, Mumbai
- Grant Medical College and Sir JJ Group of Hospitals, Mumbai, established in 1845, is a premier and pioneer medical institution of national and international fame and 166 years of glorious history.
- This oldest medical institution in Western India, run by Government of Maharashtra, provides undergraduate and postgraduate medical training and health care ranging from broad specialties to super-specialties along with tertiary care to patients.
- The institute has four hospitals attached to it: 1) Sir J. J. Hospital 2) St. George's Hospital 3) Gokuldas Tejpal (GT) Hospital 4) Cama Albless Hospital With combined bed strength of 2844 and caters to an annual load of 1,200,000 out patients and 80,000 indoor patients, from all parts of Maharashtra and central India.
For further information, visit: www.gmcjjh.org
Grant Medical College and Sir JJ Group of Hospitals,
Byculla, Mumbai - 400008.
Tel: 022 - 23735555.
St. John's Medical College, Bangalore
About St. John's Medical College
- Started in 1963 by the Catholic Bishop's Conference of India, St. John's has grown to be listed as one of the top medical educational institutions in the country.
- St. John's Medical College offers graduate, postgraduate, diploma and super specialty degrees recognised by the Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences (RGUHS), Bangalore, Karnataka.
- The high quality of academic and research work undertaken by the qualified and dedicated teaching staff of the college has attracted grants from different parts of the world.
- The present number of 367 teaching staff work in the Preclinical, Paraclinical, Clinical and Super-specialty departments of the college and hospital.
For further information, visit: www.stjohns.in/medicalcollege
St. John's Medical College,
Koramangala 2nd Block,
Karnataka - 560034.
Tel: 080 - 22065000.
Madras Medical College, Chennai
- Madras Medical College was established in 1835. It is the second oldest medical college in India.
- The Government General Hospital, one of the premier Institutions in the country was started on 16th November 1664.
- In 1857, it gained affiliation to the University of Madras. The Courses offered by the Madras Medical College are affiliated from 1988 to the "The Tamilnadu Dr. MGR Medical University".
- This College has nine affiliated institutions with hospitals, each one of them recognised for excellence in health care services.
For further information, visit www.mmc.tn.gov.in
Madras Medical College,
E.V.R Periyar Salai,
Park Town, Chennai, Park Town,
Chennai, Tamil Nadu - 600003.
Tel: 044 - 25305000.