Students often have confusion when selecting a proper college in order to pursue Engineering degree courses. They always look for a well developed college, which provides an excellent infrastructure, placements and faculties.
Every year, the engineering colleges ranking is conducted, where colleges across state are ranked on the basis of the overall growth of the institutions, improvement in academics, placement and more.
Also, some of the private magazines and universities do conduct research about the ranking of the engineering colleges all over the India.
Here is the list of the top 10 engineering colleges in Kerala 2014:
National Institute of Technology, Calicut
- National Institute of Technology Calicut is a Technical Institution of national importance set up by an Act of parliament(Act 29 of 2007).
- Namely, the National Institute of technology Act 2007, which received the assent of the President of India on 5th June,2007.
- NIT Calicut is located about 22 kilometers north-east of Calicut City.
College of Engineering, Trivandrum
- The College of Engineering, Trivandrum was established in 1939 as the first Engineering College in the then Travancore State.
- The institution owes its foundation to the bold and inspired vision of Sree Chithira Thirunal Balarama Varma, the then Maharaj of Travancore.
TKM College of Engineering, Kollam
- T.K.M College of Engineering, the very first Government- aided engineering college in Kerala, is situated in the cashew hub of Kerala, City of Kollam.
- Spanning over an area of more than 2 acres, it is ideally located, in Karikode, on the Kollam- Chenkotta road, about 5 kilometers from the heart of the city.
School of Engineering, Cochin University of Science and Technology, Ernakulam
- The establishment of the erstwhile University of Cochin in 1971 was a commitment from the Government of Kerala towards the new scientific policy resolution.
- The policy was adopted by the Central Government on 4th March 1958.
- The birth of the new University was with the specific purpose of "development of higher education with particular emphasis on post-graduate studies and research in applied science, technology, industry and commerce".
- The University of Cochin was later reorganized as Cochin University of Science and Technology (CUSAT) in February 1986.
Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology, Thiruvananthapuram
- IIST is Asia's first Space Institute and the first in the world to offer the complete range of undergraduate, post graduate, doctoral programmes with specific focus to space science, technology and applications.
- This unique concept took root in January 2007, when IIST was registered as a Society under the Travancore -Cochin Literary, Scientific and Charitable Societies Registration Act, 1955.
Government Engineering College, Thrissur
- Government Engineering College, Thrissur, is one of the most prestigious institutions in Kerala.
- Started in 1957 offering fewer courses, GEC Thrissur has marched ahead and one of the most sought after technical education centre in Kerala.
- Affiliated to University of Calicut , college campus is spread over an area of 75 acres and located at Ramavarmapuram, 5km from Thrissur town and 6km from Thrissur railway station.
Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Technology, Kottayam
- Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Technology, named after the late Prime Minister Sri Rajiv Gandhi, run by the Government of Kerala, started functioning in 1991.
- It has established a vast infrastructure and put together a team of dedicated teachers. The institution has become one of the leading technical Institutes in Kerala.
Rajagiri School of Engineering and Technology, Ernakulam
- Rajagiri School of Engineering & Technology (RSET), Kakkanad, Kochi, is a premier educational institution offering excellence in engineering education and research.
- RSET is affiliated to the Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam, Kerala, and approved by the All India Council for Technical Education, New Delhi.
N S S College of Engineering, Palakkad
- N S S College of Engineering, Palakkad is one of the most reputed, premier Engineering educational Institution in Kerala.
- Founded in 1960 by Nair Service Society under the leadership of late Bharatha Kesari Mannathu Padmanabhan.
- The society was founded during the second five year plan with the assistance of the Central and State Government under the Grant-in-Aid scheme, affiliated to the University of Calicut.
College of Dairy Science and Technology, Mannuthi, Thrissur
- College of Dairy Science & Technology was established in the year 1993.
- It is a constituent college under Kerala Agricultural University for offering Four year Degree programme in B.Tech (Dairy Science and Technology).