A degree in Architecture offers a unique combination of Design, Culture, Science and Technology. It offers the skills that are required to design and create new buildings, from private homes to skyscraping office towers, shopping centres and hotels.
Architecture has equal parts of arts and science, and it includes technical, social, aesthetic, and ethical concerns. Courses in Architecture are highly competitive, however, the starting graduate salary is relatively low. It often takes up to 5 years to complete a degree in Architecture, and includes plenty of practical training through internships. Make sure your architecture degree is accredited by local architecture organisations.
Also Read: What is Interior Architecture
If any of the candidates aspires to take admission at any of these colleges, he/she has to write National Aptitude Test Architecture. It is important to know the best colleges to pursue Architecture course.
Here is the list of Top 10 Architecture colleges:
Sir J J College of Architecture, Mumbai
- Sir J J College of Architecture has been ranked the BEST architecture college in the country according to the 2013 Outlook-MDRA Poll
- The results of the annual survey are published in the July 1st 2013 issue.
- It was set up in the year 1857 by the erstwhile Government of Bombay from the grants made by the philanthropist Sir Jamshedji Jeejeebhoy, the first Baronet of Bombay.
- This college has consistently been ranked in the top 3 architecture colleges in the country ever since the survey began around four years ago.
- This is the first time they have topped the list.
For further information, visit Sir J J College of Architecture, Mumbai
Department of Architecture, IIT Roorkee
- This Institute was established in the year 1847 and was named Thomason College of Engineering.
- It was awarded the status of the first Technical University of free India and was renamed the University of Roorkee.
- In the year 2001, the University was declared an Institute of National importance and was accorded the status of an ‘Indian Institute of Technology'.
For further information, visit Department of Architecture, IIT Roorkee
Chandigarh College of Architecture, Chandigarh
- The Chandigarh College of Architecture is a college imparting education and research in the field of architecture.
- The college was established on 7 August 1961 in Chandigarh, India.
For further information, visit Chandigarh College of Architecture, Chandigarh
Department of Architecture, NIT Tiruchirapalli
- The Department of Architecture in National Institute Of Technology Trichy had a humble origin 21 years back.
- The department was started with just three faculty members and hardly any infrastructure. Growth of the department in these twenty one years has been phenomenal.
- Today, they have faculty members who have specialised in all important branches of architecture and a group of able students drawn from all over the country.
- They have evolved a work culture that has brought them success in academics, professional practice and extra-curricular activities.
For further information, visit Department of Architecture, NIT Tiruchirapalli
Department of Architecture, NIT Calicut
- The Department of Architecture envisages to provide an academically strong platform for the aspirants those who not only want to make a good metier but also to leave an enduring impression in the field of Architecture.
- The department of Architecture plans and strives to reach there goals.
For further information, visit Department of Architecture, NIT Calicut
Sushant School of Art and Architecture, Gurgaon
- Sushant School of Art and Architecture has established itself as one of the top 3 architectural institutes in the Indian subcontinent.
- Established in the year 1989, by the Chiranjeev Charitable Trust.
- Sushant School had many past associations with International Universities such as the Oxford Brookes' University, University Of York, University Of Melbourne, Frank Lloyd Foundation, USA, University Of Virginia, University Of British Columbia, Vancouver, University Of Montreal, Aristotle University Of Thessaloniki, Greece and Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago etc.
For further information, visit Sushant School of Art and Architecture, Gurgaon
Faculty of Architecture and Ekistics, JMI, Delhi
- Jamia Millia Islamia is the only Central university which have the full fledge Faculty of Architecture and Ekistics
- The Jamia has a long history but the Architecture program was started in the year 2001-2002.
- In a short span of time Jamia has created a history by establishing its 'Faculty of Architecture and Ekistics'.
- It is aimed to establish a seat of excellence for the education of architecture and associated disciplines and facilitate multidisciplinary research to deal with the complexities of Human settlements as a whole.
For further information visit Faculty of Architecture and Ekistics, JMI, Delhi
Department of Architecture, BIT, Mesra
- The Department of Architecture was established at BIT Mesra in the year 1993, .
- It provides multifarious scope of Architecture as the art and science of designing spaces and adding value to a meaningful, built environment.
For further information, visit Department of Architecture, BIT, Mesra
R V School of Architecture, RVCE, Bangalore
- R V School of Architecture was instituted in 1992-93, as a Department of Architecture of R V College of Engineering.
- The department started to make a mark by its earnestness to the cause of architectural education.
- Faculties with expertise in specialised areas were handpicked to establish the qualitative teaching core of the school whose guidance was in turn was sought by scholarly students.
For further information, visit R V School of Architecture, RVCE, Bangalore
Faculty of Architecture, Manipal University
- Faculty of Architecture (FOA) has been providing world class education under multicultural environment since 1978.
- It aims to foster creative, innovative and intellectually vibrant learning with a global outlook that would establish academic and professional excellence in architecture.
- FOA is an elite institution with state of the art facilities, dedicated and experienced faculty members believing in student centric practices where teaching is no longer confined to the four walls of the class room.
- The quality of life at FOA enriches the students and helps moulding them into responsible and professional citizens.
For further information, visit Faculty of Architecture, Manipal University