From the beginning of a child's academic life, exams are taken up to be extremely important and off-late, exams are becoming increasingly competitive. In the scenario of today's education system, exam stress is elevated and children tend to crumble under this enormous stress.
Such stress might lead to children falling sick as the examinations come close by or some might get completely blank during the examination. Excessive exam stress might be the reason for all the sickness and blank memory.
In this article we provide tips to help parents learn more about exam stress and help their child overcome exam fear.
What exactly is exam fear?
Exam fear is defined as a phase of anxiety a child may experience during the onset or at the time of examinations.
This can result in poor performance in exam or even sickness.
However, the fear of exams is not experienced by every child. Those children who are bit anxious about examinations and those who have the feeling of standing up to their parents demand may be the victims of exam fear.
Here we provide some of the causes of exam fear in children:
There are many causes for the fear of exams, some of them may be as follows:
- Pressure of parents on children for good grades.
- Too much of expectations in terms of performance and achievements.
- Low self esteem or confidence in a child.
- Failure in his/her earlier exams.
- Poor scores in previous exams.
- Lack of revisions and preparations for the exams.
Here are a few tips for parents, to help your children overcome exam stress:
- Supporting your child plays a major role in helping your child overcome the exam fear.
- Drive out the pressure from your child's mind.
- Do not pressurize him over not achieving.
- Do not compare his achievements with others, this will hurt a child's self esteem.
- Allow him to focus on his studies and help him/her with preparations.
- Be happy with his performance, this will make him feel relaxed and release the pressure of exams.
- Parents should help their children with preparation and revisions. Lack of preparations creates fear within a child's mind.
- Letting your child to study in a calm, relaxed atmosphere helps a child learn and revise well, thus preparing him to beat exam fear.
- A good, balanced diet and sufficient sleep helps overcome exam fear.
- Help your child understand the concepts and only by-heart concepts like formulae, poems, etc.
- Provide your child enough time to relax, this might act as a stress buster.
Carrying out the role of a good parent plays a vital role in helping your child overcome the exam fear. With a combination of relaxed environment and parental role, it would be possible for any student to beat the exam stress and perform better in their examination.