UGC NET examination is conducted by CBSE twice a year to award Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) to the deserving candidates interested in pursuing research in the relevant subject and to check their eligibility for lectureship (NET).
If a candidate qualifies NET then he/she will be considered eligible for being an assistant professor in any recognized institution in India. If the candidate also qualifies JRF, he/she will be eligible to get the fellowship by UGC to pursue Ph.D. in the relevant discipline. JRF qualified candidates can apply for Ph.D. programs in premier institutions like IIT, IISc, IISER, JNU and others.
Tips to prepare for UGC NET:
As the next UGC NET examination will be conducted on 22 January, 2017, there is less time to prepare and no time to be wasted. Here are some tips to prepare for UGC NET examination:
- Know your syllabus: Before starting the preparation, one must know what to prepare. Have a look at the syllabus and know your weak and strong points in it. You must prepare accordingly.
- Analyze previous year question papers: In every subject, some topics have more weightage than others. Analyze the previous papers to know about the pattern of examination.
- Solve previous years papers: One must solve all previous years papers available to know where his/her preparation stands. After solving each paper, analyze your mistakes and work on them.
- Stick to basics: To have better conceptual clarity, stick to the books and notes you have followed in your college. You can start a new book also but then complete it with dedication. Half-baked knowledge never helps.
- Mock tests: Giving mock tests is an important routine to prepare for any examination. One must be strict with timings while giving a mock test.
UGC NET exam is conducted for different subjects. The merit list of NET qualifying candidates is prepared first and the merit list of JRF qualifying candidates is prepared from the list of NET qualified candidates.