All of those who achieve, do so by adapting themselves to one rule; being motivated. With motivation comes a whole wagon of success, self confidence and a lot of other positive things. The challenge, however, lies in staying motivated for a period of time, until a particular goal is achieved.
As a teacher, it becomes a vital need for you to stay focused and motivated yourself. You know that your students have a long way to go and they will be able to succeed only if they are motivated in the right manner.
Here are some strategies to practice, that will actually motivate students...
Ask each of your students to make a list of immediate aims or goals which they would want to achieve in a week's time. Next, ask them to list out what they'd want to achieve in a month's time and then follow the same until the bigger or the core aim in life is reached, for which they would require a few years' time. This strategy helps students in having a clear-cut idea about what their purpose is in life. Chasing an aim is a motivation in itself.
Now that they are clear about what they want, they must be asked to list out the things they are required to do in order to achieve the goal. Planing is vital and helps students develop their managerial skills at an early age.
Next step is to ask them to be their own judge. For instance, if a student's aim is to cover 20 lessons in a week's time and the student has scheduled to study 9 hours a day, then the student must be asked to judge if this is practical and can be achieved or not.
If there is no practical approach to realise an aim, then it is not worth spending time on. The secret to achieving things is being adaptable. If the situation demands, then the students must be able to change their plans accordingly. If they are educated about how important it is to adapt to changes, then they will be able to turn the tables around when the doors begin to close.
Now that the foundation is set, it is time for action. Just planing and thinking will not do, the deeds have to be executed. If the student aims to stand 1st in class, then he/she must begin his/her studies as soon as the above steps are carried out.
* Stay focused:
The last step is to stay focused. This is the most difficult and the most crucial step. The whole idea of being motivated stands on this.
Mantras to keep them focused...
- Ask your students to keep in mind the mental picture of the happiness gained after they have achieved the goal.
- Ask the students to think of rewards they would get at the end of it all. Reward can be assigned by the student. For instance, the student might say, after I achieve this I am going to buy this for myself. Or this can be from the teacher's end - for instance, an appreciation in front of the class. Or by the parents, like a an offer to appreciate the child by gifting him/her.
- Meditation is another great way to stay focused. This will allow students to think better and to remain calm. It is a healthy way to increase concentration and self motivating ability.
- Recommend books on self motivation. Teach what you learn to your class whenever possible.
- Stress on positive attitude. Educate them about this and soon they will begin to see the world in a better perspective.
You have to inculcate these steps in your own lives to be able to share the experience and to motivate your students better. This is what we had to say, please share your views here : https://www.facebook.com/careerindia.com