The most challenging responsibility of an educator or a teacher is to get the students engaged in their learning space and to help them learn better. Truly, there are ways to get the students engaged in a classroom atmosphere. But it depends on how you work around it and get it done.
Here are some ways to get students interactive in an educational environment:
* Motivate them to ask questions - Questions trigger the mind to think. It is a subtle brain teaser of sorts. It helps to stretch the thinking capacity of a student. Provokes more thinking. Invites inquisitiveness. There has to be a mutual inquiry between the student and the teacher, for a successful engagement in a classroom culture.
* Think as a student - How much do you understand about a learner? Do we analyse the teachings from the viewpoint of a student? Put yourself in the student's shoes and look at how you would have conquered the learning challenge yourself. Think about the ways to help them learn the same way. Become a learner first. Stand as a learner and then see how things can be improved or modified for the better.
* Teach to listen - Yes. There are 2 primary ways of dealing with this word 'listen'. Firstly teach the students to 'learn to listen'. Secondly teach them to 'listen to learn'. One has to learn the art of being quick to listen. It acts as the most essential step of a communication and engagement process. Listening first would pave the way to be listened to. So, there you go!
* Method of varieties - The knowledge can be passed on to students in various forms or ways. Having varieties may boost the curiosity and intensity to learn. Being monotonous becomes boring. Life requires colours. Make your teaching sessions more interactive and unique, as much as possible. Try and use your teaching abilities through various methods. Impart knowledge and experiences to students by using combinations of learning styles.
* Capture their attention - There could be boring topics to lecture on, but the way you present it matters the most. Your aim should be to capture the student's attention first. Right amount of energy and positive enthusiasm are contagious. You've got to look excited to talk/teach about something that you're confident about. Showcase your passion in what you believe. Present it with all you've got, but with the right level of zeal. Be sure that they'll want for more.
If you are aware of other unique ways to engage students in an educational environment, you may share them with us!