Talking i.e. communicating is the one thing that sets human beings apart from the animals or birds or amphibians etc. We put across our ideas through words and our actions. Communication is the key to reach people. If you fail to communicate; you are a nobody.
Leaders are made because they were able to face a huge amount of people. Sure, each of us have many excellent points to put across and many hidden talents to showcase. And we shall always have our good stuff hidden within us until we decide to break the "shy" shell.
Many of us dread the thought of being on stage with so many eyes looking at us. We chicken out, panic and forget what exactly was the next thing that had to be done. Stage fright can occur at anytime during the period when a person is on stage. At times a person might start out good and then the consciousness of being the centre of attention strikes and the person forgets what to do next (for instance, forgetting the line he/she had to say, stammering, forgetting the dance move etc).
Here are tips to overcome stage fright and to be the star performer:
- Take several deep breaths and relax your mind of all clutters.
- Affirm yourself that you can do it. Feel yourself achieving it. Imaging that you have just finished your speech, dance or act etc. Hear the applause in your imagination. This is an important step as you are communicating this to your subconscious mind which will aid you to carry out your thoughts.
- Think of the audience as your friends although you know none or few of them. Convince yourself that the audience is there to appreciate your talents. To listen, watch and acknowledge your potential. Therefore, there is no need to worry.
- Avoid caffeine. Meditate for 10-15 minutes on the day of performance to stay focused.
- Drink citrus juice to keep your blood pressure low and to overcome anxiety.
- Listen to your favourite song.
- Be confident of your abilities. Stay positive. Stay calm.
- Block the unwanted fear the moment you see it encroaching by imaging your favourite person in the audience.
- Smile. This is very powerful and will help you perform better.
This is all you need to do to kill the stage fright and concentrating on performing better. Rest assured, you shall walk out from the stage hearing a tremendous applause.
This is what we had to say, if you have other ways to beat the stage fright, share it with us here: https://www.facebook.com/careerindia.com