English is one of the widely spoken languages around the world. For an engineer and an engineering student, English language fluenncy is important both in studies and career.
Engineering is one of the largest fields of study and many of the works of research and academics are recorded in English. Without fluency in English, engineering students may find it difficult to understand the concept being conveyed by the authors. Also, many modules in engineering require writing academic reports. Hence, a good fluency and grasp of English language is necessary.
Basic reasons why an Engineer should be fluent in English are as follows:
- In a student's social life, English language is most important. It helps to build strong relationship and better understanding among fellow students and peers.
- For success in any field, one has to know, understand and communicate effectively. In the era of liberalisation, privatisation and globalisation, communication skills is the key to success.
- The English language is now a bridge language of international business, technology, research and aviation. About 1.8 billion speak English and the number is still rising.
For communication purposes, an engineer must bear these things in mind:
1. Most of the theories are taught in English language. For this reason, an expected level of proficiency in English language would be essential.
2. To study abroad in some of the best universities in the world, students have to take up standardised tests to prove their English language proficiency. These tests play a major role for admissions to most of the universities overseas. These tests are measurements carried out to ensure that the students from non-English speaking countries are able to write, listen, and converse in English fluently.
3. Engineers today have to communicate with their counterparts across the globe. Among most of the professionals like the scientists, technologists and business experts who belong to different cultural and linguistic backgrounds, English is predominantly considered to be a language of communication.
For professional purposes, English may come in very handy. Here are some of the reasons:
1. In today's world, employers seek graduates with sound communication skills, along with technical engineering knowledge.
2. Having good communication skills is a valuable asset for any organisation. Professionals with strong hold on English language are set in higher level of standards in the organisation.
Read more on the ways to improve your English language skills.
All in all, English language fluency is a significant aspect of an engineering student's academic life and future career.