Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) conducts civil services exams to provide the administrative machinery of India with impeccable talents. Civil services exams are considered as the most difficult exams to crack as they require sheer hard work, dedication, studying for 18 to 19 hours a day, spending sleepless nights and sacrificing one's comfort zone including watching TV.
What you see in the above sentences is the typical scenario one gets to hear or see when the civil services exams dates are announced. So far, these exams have been shown in the light of seriousness and lots of formalities. However, these exams of profound significance can be cracked with ease and we have a few important mantras for all you civil services aspirants that would help you cover this journey of UPSC exams with a relaxed attitude.
- Irrespective of your academic background, you can choose any subject of your interest and give your 100% to it
- Do not run after success. This is what most of the candidates try to do while preparing for the prelims or mains. However, success comes to those who do their best during preparation and leave the rest to the evaluators.
- Civil services exams are more about achieving excellence and chiseling a dynamic personality in the process of exam preparation. This attitude will eventually lead to the desired success
- You need not detach yourself from the outside world. The most common belief that circulates among the candidates is that one should cut off oneself from the outside world i.e. no TV, no friends, no family get together, no parties, no games if one wants to earn a top rank in the exams. Well, that's just a myth; you have every right to refresh yourself after several hours of hard work. So let your brain relax for some time to start the next round of preparation with a bang.
- If you are preparing for the first time and have less time to do so, then coaching classes are always a better option. They boost your confidence to prepare well and face the exam with positive mentality.
- Have an informal and relaxed attitude while attending an interview. Your intelligence and aptitude have already been put to test during the exams. Interviews are there to test your integrity, confidence, conviction and a promising personality. So stay calm and answer the questions with full confidence.
- During interviews, do not confuse a 'Yes' for a 'No' and vice versa. This is what breaks the steps to success in the case of many candidates. If you can say 'Yes' for answers you are confident about, you should have the same conviction while saying 'No' to questions for which you do not have answers. So, you will not be a loser if you say No when you don't know the answer.
- Saying 'I don't know' with confidence does not make you a loser in the eyes of the interviewers but it portrays you as an individual with conviction and clear vision. It shows what exactly you want which is a must for a civil service officer while making crucial decisions.
Hope these tips would help you tread the path of civil services exams with confidence.