How to procure student visa to Study in Sweden?

By Vidhya

Students who wish to study in the European Union (here in Sweden) must apply for a visa or residence permit depending on the duration they want to stay in Sweden.


In case, a student wants to be in Sweden for 3 moths or less, he/she needs to apply for a student visa. If he/she extends the stay or the course is more than 3 months, a resident permit is required.

It is always advised for students to apply for Swedish visa or residence permit as soon as they have been accepted at any of the Swedish Universities.

How to apply to Swedish Universities?How to apply to Swedish Universities?

There is always a congestion of student visa applications before the autumn semester. Students should be aware of the fact that the visa decisions are taken by the Swedish Migration Authority in Sweden, not the Embassy, this process can take time.

Students who apply for the residence permit in Sweden, must prove to the Swedish Migration Agency that he/she will have a guaranteed sum of money at your disposal throughout the entire period of your studies.

The following are the mandatory documents required for the application for the residence permit for students: (Each application should be submitted with one original and one photocopy)

List of documents:

  • 2 recent passport photographs
  • 2 copies of the passport (validity minimum 6 months)
  • Acceptance letter from the University in Sweden & copy
  • 2 Copies of educational degrees; university/college/high school etc (attested by the Foreign Ministry)
  • 1 Letter of confirmation from the sponsor of the studies & copy
  • 2 copies of the Bank statements (the applicant should be able to show an amount of 7300 Swedish Kronor (approximately 54,853 INR) a month for at least 10 months per year, for the entire study period, and a certificate from the bank showing the amount in US dollar, Euro, UK Pounds or Swedish kronor.

Example: If applicant intend to study for 12 months he must have SEK 87,600 (12 x SEK 7,300)

Note: Health Insurance for students whose studies will not last more than 1 year.

All documents should be shown in original at the time of submitting the application at the Embassy.

Also See:

For Quick Alerts
For Daily Alerts

Select a Field of Study
Select a Course
Select UPSC Exam
Select IBPS Exam
Select Entrance Exam
Get Instant News Updates
Notification Settings X
Time Settings
Clear Notification X
Do you want to clear all the notifications from your inbox?
Settings X