Tier 4 Student visa overview
A student can apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa to study in the UK if he or she is or more than 16 years old.
To apply for the Tier 4 student visa, the following requirements are mandatory. An eligible student should:
- have been selected and offered a place on a course in any university or institution in the UK.
- be able to speak, read, write and understand English.
- have enough finances to support his/her living and course fees.
- belong to a country that is not in the European Economic Area or Switzerland.
- meet the other eligibility requirements.
A student must have:
- an offer of an university or institution on a course.
- enough finances to support his/her living expenses and pay course fees, which may vary depending on circumstances.
Fee for application:
- It costs approximately 310 pounds to apply for this visa from outside the UK.
Documents required for Tier 4 (General) student visa:
While applying for the Tier 4 visa, one must provide the following documents:
- passport or a valid travel documentation.
- passport sized coloured photographs with your name written on the reverse.
- proof of your finances, that you can support your living and course fees.
- legal consent of parents or guardians if your are under 18.
- medical test results for tuberculosis.
- Additional document might be required depending on your circumstances.
English Language proficiency:
- One might also need to prove their knowledge of the English language during application. It can be done by passing an English Language Test.
Duration of stay in the UK:
Students who have been provided with the Tier 4 student visa can land in the UK before the commencement of the course:
- if your course lasts for 6 months or less, you can land in the UK up to 1 week before the start of your course.
- if your course lasts for more than 6 months, you can land in the UK up to 1 month before the start of your course.
Do's and Dont's:
Things you can do in the UK with the Tier 4 General student visa are, you can:
- work as a student union sabbatical officer,
- apply to extend your stay in the UK,
- work in the UK depending on the level your course is and on the kind of sponsor you have.
Things you can't do in the UK with the Tier 4 General student visa:
- You are not eligible for public funds.
- you can't work as professional sportsperson, including a sports coach.
For more information, please visit: www.gov.uk