Understanding nuclear energy is a free online course offered by DelftX, this course enables you to learn the science and technology behind nuclear energy and the special features of this energy source.
The Delft University of Technology is the largest and oldest technological university in the Netherlands.Our research is inspired by the desire to increase fundamental understanding, as well as by societal challenges.
We encourage our students to be independent thinkers so they will become engineers capable of solving complex problems.
Interested candidates can enroll for this online course on or before March 1, 2017.
About this course?
- In this nuclear energy course, we will tackle provocative questions such as:
- Is nuclear energy a good substitute for fossil fuels to reduce our CO2 emission or not?
- Can nuclear reactors operate safely without any harm to the public and environment?
- How much nuclear waste is produced and how long does it need to be stored safely?
- How can we make nuclear energy clean and more sustainable?
- How much are nuclear energy costs?
- You will learn the physics behind nuclear science, how to gain energy from nuclear fission, how nuclear reactors operate safely, and the life cycle of nuclear fuel: from mining to disposal. In the last part of the course, we will focus on what matters most in the public debate: the economic and social impact of nuclear energy but also the future of energy systems.
- Practically, we will:
- Teach you about nuclear science and technology (radiation and radioactivity, nuclear reactions, nuclear reactors and fuel cycle, economics of nuclear energy, and the sociality aspects)
- Show you short videos about the theory and practical implementation of nuclear energy.
- Stimulate discussion and debate about nuclear energy.
- Ask you to formulate your own opinion about nuclear energy and its role in society.
What is learned?
- The basics of nuclear science and nuclear energy:
- The operating principles of nuclear reactors.
- The various steps in the nuclear fuel cycle.
- The differences between current and future reactors.
- The pros and cons of nuclear energy.
Duration of the course:
- Length: 6 weeks
- Effort: 8 hours per week
- Institution: DelftX
- Subject: Physics
- Languages: English
- Video Transcripts: English
- Price: Free
- Level: Intermediate
For further information and to register, click here: https://www.edx.org/course/understanding-nuclear-energy-delftx-nuclear01x-0