Introduction to Silicon Photonics Design, Fabrication and Data Analysis is an online course offered by The University of Columbia.
This course will help you to design your own silicon photonics chip.
The first online course to include photonics fabrication, experimentation, and data analysis.
Interested candidates can enroll in this course on or before February 28, 2017.
About this course:
- This short course teaches students and industry professionals how to design integrated optical devices and circuits, using a hands-on approach with commercial tools.
- We will fabricate your designs using a state-of-the-art (($5M) silicon photonic rapid-prototyping 100 keV electron-beam lithography facility.
- We will measure your designs using an automated optical probe station and provide you the data.
- You will then analyze your experimental data.
- You will earn a professional certificate from the University of British Columbia and edX upon successful completion of this course.
- Certificates can be uploaded directly to your LinkedIn profile.
Why take this course?
- To get hands-on design experience with integrated optics.
- To learn how to use advanced optical design tools.
- To get your design fabricated, and obtain experimental data.
- The focus of this course is a design project, guided by lectures, tutorials, and activities.
- As a first-time designer, you will design an interferometer, which is a widely used device in many applications such as communications (modulation, switching) and sensing.
- Specifically, it is Mach-Zehnder Interferometer, consisting of fiber grating couplers, two splitters, and optical waveguides.
- For advanced designers, this course is an opportunity to design many other devices, such as directional couplers, ring, racetrack and disk resonators, Bragg gratings including grating assisted contradirectional couplers, photonic crystals, multi-mode interference (MMI) couplers, polarization diversity components, mode-division multiplexing (MDM) components and circuits, novel waveguides such as sub-wavelength grating (SWG) and metamaterial waveguides, slot waveguides, etc.
- Commercial software tool licenses are provided in this course (Lumerical Solutions, Mentor Graphics, and MATLAB).
- Open-source alternatives are provided.
- Mentor Graphics tools are accessed remotely via a cloud service; the others can be run on your own computer.
What will you learn?
- Optical modeling tools.
- Mask layout tools.
- The design of optical devices and circuits.
- Data analysis techniques.
Duration of the course?
- Length: 7 weeks
- Effort: 3- 25 hours per week
- Type: Professional Education
- Price: $ 495
- Institution: UBCx
- Subject: Engineering
- Level: Intermediate
- Languages: English
- Video transcripts: English
For further information & to register click here: https://www.edx.org/course/silicon-photonics-design-fabrication-ubcx-phot1x-3