The Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) is offering an online and part-time certificate course in Big Data and Social Analytics. This MIT certificate in the fundamental theory and analysis of big data is to better understand and predict human networks and behaviour in social structures.
This 8-week online certificate course from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) will cover the fundamental theory and analysis of big data to better understand and predict human networks and behaviour in social structures.
Students will be guided over the 8 weeks in how to use the technical tools, data sets and code scripts associated with big data analysis.
Who can take this course?
The course is suitable for technically-minded graduates and working professionals in any role, across any industry. Specific roles that would benefit include, but are not limited to: Analysts and Analytics Managers; Consultants; Software Engineers, Developers and Programmers; Enterprise Architects and other systems specialists; Directors with data-intensive portfolios and CEOs, especially those in the IT industry; Data Scientists and Engineers looking to transition into such a role; and Researchers and Project Managers who work with large datasets.
Prerequisites for the course:
A background in statistics and/or Python programming will be beneficial. This is not a requirement, however, this course offers both core and extension activities that cater to entry-level and more advanced students.
- Social Physics: How Social Networks Can Make Us Smarter, Alex Pentland
Outcome/What You'll Learn from this Course:
- Students who achieve a final mark of 70% or more will earn an MIT certificate in Computational Data Analysis.
- Understand exactly what kind of data you are dealing with in your role
- Conduct preliminary analysis and draw hypotheses about that data
- Design interventions using that analysis that are intended to change behavior
Key focus areas:
- Social science influence and application
- Data processing and analysis
- Data ethics and personal privacy
- Practical application of big data insights
- Course Length: 8 weeks
- Course Type: Online Course
- Course Duration: 8-12 hours per week
- Cost: $2,300
- Course Begins: July 11, 2016
For further details and to register for the course, click here.