The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has invited applications for a free online course named Basics of geographical information system. The course is open to students with a minimum of a bachelor's degree or a master's degree. The Indian Institute of Remote Sensing (IIRS), a centre of the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), has released the third module in a series of online courses.
The course will include geographical information systems, databases, topology, spatial analysis, and open source software and will be held from September 27 to October 22, 2021. In addition to students, technical or scientific workers from the central or state governments, professors and researchers from universities and institutions are also eligible to apply. Only 5000 people will be allowed to attend, and ISRO certificates will be awarded on the basis of 40 percent passing marks and 70 percent attendance.
ISRO Free Online Course: Topics
Over the course of 21 days, the following topics related to geographical information systems will be covered:
- Introduction to Geographical Information System
- Geographic Phenomena, Concepts and Examples
- Geographical Information System Data Models including Spatial and Non-Spatial
- Map Projection Concepts and Use in Remote Sensing and Geographical Information System
- Data Inputting and Editing in Geographical Information System
- Spatial Analysis
- Spatial Analysis: Vector and Raster
- Overview of Spatial Data Quality
- Open-Source Software Technology and Tools
- Overview of Machine Learning for Geographical Information System
- Uncertainty in Geographical Information System and Error Propagation
- Recent trends in Geoinformatics
- Overview of Big Data Analytics
ISRO Free Online Course: How To Apply
Candidates who are interested and eligible should apply on the Official Website. If their institute is not part of the IIRS Outreach network, participants can register utilising the Individual registration option by selecting the Indian Institute of Remote Sensing, Dehradun as the nodal location. E-class will provide access to course study materials such as lecture slides, video-recorded lectures, open source software, and demonstration handouts.